A week in the life of a frame of bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clv101

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
nine 14x12
Here's a quick blog on one of our frames: http://chrisvernon.co.uk/2012/07/a-week-in-the-life-of-a-frame-of-bees/

The left hand images, 4th July are 19 days after the swarm was hived, the right hand side, +27 days. Brood emerged and cells recharged!

Front_600.jpg

Back_600.jpg

High-resolution images on the blog.

The wild comb on the bottom of the frame is the result of using a normal deep national frame in a 14×12 brood box. We have three such frames in the box currently which we’re planning to leave for the time being.

Surprised the wild comb isn't all drone cells!

I have similar situation, 2 std in a 14x12 and they have drawn wild worker on one and wild drone comb on the other

Surprised the wild comb isn't all drone cells!

Drones would be a luxury for a newly-hived swarm. They can come after everything else is all set up nicely. So they shouldn't be in any hurry to build drone comb.

Drome comb is is commonly built under 'short' frames because (IMHO) its the only place in the hive that isn't being 'shaped' towards worker-sized cells by the foundation. Hence - IF they are going to raise some drones - anywhere that there isn't worker foundation must seem like 'a good place'.
But its not just that its semi-wild comb so it ought to be drone comb --- otherwise top bar hives would be stuffed with drones only ...

I suppose i dont get drone being being built at the bottom of frames cos I use no foundation, makes no sense then does it.

Latest posts

Back