2:1 syrup measurements.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Emyr I'll give em a call monday Oops tuesday

Phil, I'm an invert man too, I had an IBC of it last year but............ I always seem to get one or two hives that refuse to touch invert or any other liquid feed. In these cases a lump of fondant at least gives them something and eases my worrying.

Thanks Emyr I'll give em a call monday Oops tuesday

Phil, I'm an invert man too, I had an IBC of it last year but............ I always seem to get one or two hives that refuse to touch invert or any other liquid feed. In these cases a lump of fondant at least gives them something and eases my worrying.
Yeh ...isn't that just beekeeping ?... there's always one colony intent on being different and doing their level best not to be helped ! I'm not averse to fondant ... it's a life saver for the colony who gobbles through everything and those years when spring refuses to spring. One of those things to have in your cupboard and hope you don't need it.

Yeh ...isn't that just beekeeping ?... there's always one colony intent on being different and doing their level best not to be helped ! I'm not averse to fondant ... it's a life saver for the colony who gobbles through everything and those years when spring refuses to spring. One of those things to have in your cupboard and hope you don't need it.
I keep some but rarely need it but as you say it's handy. I actually have Candipolline somebody gave me. It's just coloured expensive fondant but the bees like it

2:1 is not 1kg sugar to 500ml of water.
e2:1 was originally worked out in imperial measurement (2 lbs to one pint) and doesn't convert well to metric as the water content is too low meaning you'll have difficulty dissolving the sugar and it will quickly crystalise in the feeders.
So when using metric it should be 1KG sugar to 630 ml water (although measurments do not have to be preise)

this as caught me out 2:1 is metioned everywhere but rarely anything else really the ratio is is the 1:0.63 by weigth tho thats no so easy to rember but the ratio we should be useing then is really more like 2:1 1/4 ?

this as caught me out 2:1 is metioned everywhere but rarely anything else really the ratio is is the 1:0.63 by weigth tho thats no so easy to rember but the ratio we should be useing then is really more like 2:1 1/4 ?

It's easy .. you don't need to measure anything .. follow Dani's method above ... works every time:

"As for syrup.
If I have to make a small batch for autumn feeding I use a large saucepan. Fill to three quarters of the way up with British granulated sugar and add boiling water to the same level. Stir. No measuring or weighing and you have your autumn syrup. Add thymol or Vit C as is your whim
."

Every year we have a thread about the production of syrup and the various ratios and measurements. All it does is confuse people ..... KISS principle rules in my book.

There's usually another thread about making fondant .. I have made my own fondant ... but, life is too short - the price of a couple of jars of honey buys you a block of bakers fondant - compare that with how long it is going to take you to make 12.5Kg of your own fondant ! Of course, we are all masochists - we would not be keeping bees if we weren't - so there will be some who actually ENJOY the pain of standing and watching and turning and .... OK, I've been there - never again.

2:1 is not 1kg sugar to 500ml of water.
e2:1 was originally worked out in imperial measurement (2 lbs to one pint) and doesn't convert well to metric as the water content is too low meaning you'll have difficulty dissolving the sugar and it will quickly crystalise in the feeders.
So when using metric it should be 1KG sugar to 630 ml water (although measurments do not have to be preise)

I agree. Alternatively, since sugar is easier to weigh accurately than water, it’s 1.6kg sugar in 1L water.
Even easier, 4kg sugar in 2.5L water makes 5L thick syrup

1 kg of water can dissolve 2 kg of sugar and will have ± 66.67% sugar concentration. Anything above 62% in the solution, should mean that microorganisms can't grow and cause it to go mouldy/decompose.

I agree with Pargyle. If you can make fudge, which is easy, making fondant is similar but I buy baker's fondant as life is too short.

I do make fondant every now and then, but with mixed results. My last lot was the most successful, due to buying a sugar thermometer. Basically, the temperature should be held at 220F or 115c for 'soft ball,' which is like fudge, for about half an hour. Then, as it cools, it has to be stirred, till it starts stiffening up. I use a an electric drill with a 'paddle' attachment for that.

1 kg of water can dissolve 2 kg of sugar and will have ± 66.67% sugar concentration. Anything above 62% in the solution, should mean that microorganisms can't grow and cause it to go mouldy/decompose.
You have to add some vinegar.

I do make fondant every now and then, but with mixed results. My last lot was the most successful, due to buying a sugar thermometer. Basically, the temperature should be held at 220F or 115c for 'soft ball,' which is like fudge, for about half an hour. Then, as it cools, it has to be stirred, till it starts stiffening up. I use a an electric drill with a 'paddle' attachment for that.
I have no comment about what the actual temperature should be. I have no experience with making fondant. I am concerned here about the conversion between the two temperature scales. To calculate the equivalent temperature, use the formulae:
C = (F - 32) * 5/9, or
F = (C * 9/5) + 32
220F is NOT equal to 115C
220F = 104C
115C = 239F

Last edited:
You will have your own recipe of course ~ I have found that adding liquid glucose helps keep it soft. at the the rate of 2lbs sugar,
1/2 pint or less water, 1 tablespoon liquid glucose.
I’m always keen on more honey fudge recipes.

'Just following orders.' I read that a teaspoonful is supposed to stop it getting moldy, though to be honest, it's never around for that long!

Latest posts

Back