14 x 12 Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theeggman

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 Cedar + 5 Poly
We have a few colonies that enjoy removing the foundation across the bottom and half way up the sides of the brood frames. As RAB pointed out in another thread recently it makes inspections a nightmare particularly if it's warm.

I've just replaced some foundation in a couple of brood frames and am trying using 2 small cable ties through the wax and back through the bottom wire loops.

If I remember I'll update this thread after they've been in use for a while.

Tim.

Why couldn't the loops be bent at 90 degrees onto the bottom bars?

Does the weight of the wax pull them through when you hold the frame horizontally? if so avoid holding the frame horizontal.

Last edited:
There is not enough wire past the bottom bars and the weight of built comb would just pull the wires out and one needs to tip the frame slightly to be able to see eggs in the cell bottom.

Even a slight slope from vertical is enough to get the comb falling out of the frame.

Tim.

Mmm, ok, well the tie wraps should assist then.

using 2 small cable ties through the wax and back through the bottom wire loops.

Personally, I would not recomend that - a good way to finish with dished/buckled comb near the bottom if the foundation cannot move through between the bars as the tempeature goes up and the weight stretches the foundation slightly.

Try it by all means, but that is my prediction.

RAB

I put a frame nail through bottom bars and wire loops works for me

Another good suggestion stubee and rab's comments are good ones and perhaps his concerns are overcome by keeping the cable tie loose.

We've just been through all of the hives this PM and where needed have poked the bottom wires back between the bottom bars and added a cable tie through each wire loop and around the bars. They feel a lot more secure and you can turn the frames around without the fear of the comb falling out.

Tim.

P.S. The reason for trying to sort this issue is, we don't have a branch apiary and our summer meetings are held at members apiaries. The normal procedure is for a senior member to go through the hives and explain to all and sundry what's there etc. but there is NO way I'm going let somebody who is used to secure std. nat. frames go through ours, we would have a floor full of comb and bees. If you tried to shake bees off of some of our frames without allowing for the floppy comb there would be a big mess of bees and comb on the floor. Other than our issue the system is great as you get to see other hive types etc and methods of beekeeping.

Last edited:
Tip I got from the man at Thornes was to put a frame nail into the wire loop at the base of the frame and twist a couple of times. Tried it with my recent frames, though my thought is that it might fall out unless the bees propolise it early on.

Also, cut a small triangle off each corner of the foundation to give the bees a route through the frame so that they don't chew the edges.

Have tried both with a recent swarm, too early to say how successful either of the tips are.

Latest posts

Back