honey house plans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burren

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 nationals/ 3 apideas
Hi all
Does anyone have any plans/layouts for a honey shed? I already have a concrete base approx 20ft (or 30ft) x 16ft (intend to check that today). I was going to be used for a couple of stables but I think this may be a better use ;) I want to make two sections, one a store room for wooden equip etc and the other room the kitchen/bottling area. It would be external cavity block and insulated, pitch roof etc and obviously as bee proof as possible. I would like some advise on essentials. I understand that the area must be easily cleaned and splashback and stainless steel (would be best) but what could I do and the best way for as reasonable as possible. What floorings are allowed and what lighting is acceptable etc. Thanks in advance. I have to have it all down on paper by Monday!:eek:

thanks beebreeder that was very interesting to see and very massive!. thanks also beejoyful, i had been reading that thread, he did a great job. It is more the "essential" bits that i need to make sure I have planned for. I hope to have a few more hives this year. But it is great to see all the pics. Maybe I am thinking to much about floor drains and sloped floor entrances ;)wont be necessary on my scale:p It would be great to see more layout plans of other peoples efforts as well.

Your base is roughly the size that mine was. However I found that that space was fully taken up with bottling and extraction. At the time I was running some 70 colonies +/- 10.

Mine was lined with commercial grade insulated washable panels to slaughter house standard. They in 1991 cost 5k.

I had a sink with hot and cold water, no windows and a double door for equipment access, ie extractor.

PH

thanks poly, 70 colonies! i wish ;)

LOL Be careful what you wish for, it represents a lot of work. ;)

PH

How you getting on with these plans

Hi all
Does anyone have any plans/layouts for a honey shed? I already have a concrete base approx 20ft (or 30ft) x 16ft (intend to check that today). I was going to be used for a couple of stables but I think this may be a better use ;) I want to make two sections, one a store room for wooden equip etc and the other room the kitchen/bottling area. It would be external cavity block and insulated, pitch roof etc and obviously as bee proof as possible. I would like some advise on essentials. I understand that the area must be easily cleaned and splashback and stainless steel (would be best) but what could I do and the best way for as reasonable as possible. What floorings are allowed and what lighting is acceptable etc. Thanks in advance. I have to have it all down on paper by Monday!:eek:

Hi. I have made a few abortive attempts to do the same thing. I wanted to be able to sell honey to a shop for them to retail. I contacted our local environmental health officer, who called out and explained what was required for a retail license. What they reqired were things like, flyscreens on doors and windows, hotwater at 62C, a double sink or single if have dishwasher, a seperate sink at entrance for hand washing, a cloakroom, stainless steel, washable walls and cieling( not painted), stainless stell work surfaces. No foodstuffs not involved with honey processing to be stored in area. There was surely more, but I lost heart.
The thing is, I had wanted to do it as part of my kitchen. I only have 8 hives.
Now I have had another idea which involves building a double garage for our house. On completion, it might serve for honey house. 5k for lining walls:eek:
I think wet wall for showers deserves a look, although not so strong.

Hi beesandsheep
plans on hold at the mo as I received a very very expensive quote for a basic block structure. You seem to have looked in to it more than I have as I was just thinking about getting a suitable external structure up. And then worry about the internal specs!
It was the right thing to do though, check throughly. There is a new thread just opened up on just this subject- check it out. cheers

Back