Stonebrood?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I know is rare, this hive never made it into Spring, first full inspection today, weather, temperature not been suitable till now. A few foragers , some capped brood , some stores, no queen, and most frames have 40-50 cells with white chalky cells. No mummies , seen chalk brood before , looks more like Stonebrood? Anyway, burning frames and sterilising boxes and kit IMG_2710.jpeg

I know is rare, this hive never made it into Spring, first full inspection today, weather, temperature not been suitable till now. A few foragers , some capped brood , some stores, no queen, and most frames have 40-50 cells with white chalky cells. No mummies , seen chalk brood before , looks more like Stonebrood? Anyway, burning frames and sterilising boxes and kit View attachment 39764
Take care not to breathe in dust etc. Maybe wear a mask. Stonebrood is the one bee disease which can affect us (our lungs).

I know is rare, this hive never made it into Spring, first full inspection today, weather, temperature not been suitable till now. A few foragers , some capped brood , some stores, no queen, and most frames have 40-50 cells with white chalky cells. No mummies , seen chalk brood before , looks more like Stonebrood? Anyway, burning frames and sterilising boxes and kit View attachment 39764
Sometimes ... even when you think the worst ... it's a good idea to take a step back, pause, and think about what is going on. Stonebrood is very rare in the UK and if you find it then it will, generally, be accompanied by other symptoms and the affected cells will be in an area of brood. Pollen tends to be stored on the periphery of the comb as can be seen in your photo .. JBM is right - mouldy pollen cells. Not uncommon in spring. Hopefully the frames are not yet ablaze !

so rare it wasn't even mentioned in our DASH training, it's not even on Beebase
I'd only heard about it when a fellow beekeeper down here mentioned he had seen it last spring ... I had to look it up ... I suspect that (as in this case) that it was either chalk brood or mouldy pollen !

I've never encountered stonebrood either in reality or in print so it seems it's very rare. It did give me a chuckle as it brought to mind the episode of last of the summer wine where a Stone Worm infestation was invented by Howard.

Latest posts

Back