Recipe for beeswax coating for fruit and veg.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What??
I grow my own rhubarb which I force, cook and freeze to eat with custard porridge or yoghurt through the year.
Shine?

Nope and nope come on guys 🙄
Apples and lots of fruit and veg get coated in wax to preserve and keep them.
only the poor quality dross that everyone tries to avoid. And it's not beeswax they use

These days I thought a lot of fruit was kept chilled in a "modified atmosphere" to preserve it for out of season use. Not just fruit come to think of it. Potatoes, too.

Traditionally I think "keeping" varieties of fruit such as apples and pears were grown to store in the loft of a barn or similar place -- dry and cool -- and someone would check them regularly, throwing out any that had started to rot.

The only time I recall beeswax being used on apples was when "Wolfie" Smith's girlfriend's mum used to spray them with furniture polish and give them a shine. Now there's a cultural reference that you need to be "of a certain age" to recall :D

James

The only time I recall beeswax being used on apples was when "Wolfie" Smith's girlfriend's mum used to spray them with furniture polish and give them a shine.
ha! I remember that or 'foxie' as she always called him. I think she ended her life playing Mo on Eastenders!

I use mine to make rhubarb tart - not to use as a table decoration
I rather prefer rhubarb crumble ... I can start around May with the first few forced stems and with care on established plants still pick a few stems in August. I grow three known varieties - Timporley early, Victoria and Champagne - plus an unknown root that was my Dads rhubarb and which came from my grandad's allotment so it's been split more times than I can count - with these I have rhubarb right the way through the spring and summer. Outside of that - there's always enough stems to put some in the freezer for a winter treat.

You can also preserve it cooked with sugar ... not to the point where it is pulp but at the point of boil. Put it into sterilised Kilner jars and store in a cool dark place.

Much better than to polish it in a corner ...

Latest posts

Back