Copper strips?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some times in amongst the mumbo jumbo there is a thread of truth.
the info i have is on another in the same group in the periodic table: silver. google x static.

the info i have is on another in the same group in the periodic table: silver. google x static.

I imagine silver sheathing would of been to expensive.

Deterioration of the hull of a wooden ship was a significant problem during the Age of Sail. Ships' hulls were under continuous attack by shipworm and various marine weeds, all of which had some adverse effect on the ship, be it structurally, in the case of the worm, or affecting speed and handling in the case of the weeds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_sheathing

It was to help prevent the attack of marine worms and to stop things sticking to the hulls.
Yes, it was. Have you any idea why it was effective? Was it because the creatures were poisoned by the copper, was it too slippery, or did they get a static shock from it?

I've read that they're using silver for wound dressings, but didn't know details of how it was made, used or applied. Thanks, interesting :)

Thanks, interesting trail there to Muntz Metals and ICI.

So, do you reckon using copper strips would be any help to our bees, or could it harm them?

I think the honest answer is that nobody can be sure, but it would appear reasonable to "give it a twirl" on an experimental basis. Copper is widely used in plumbing, and acts to kill off all sorts of nasty bugs - the small traces wouldn't appear to be doing us much damage, so it is reasonable to hope that it shouldn't be damaging to bees - if it's effective against varroa, it could be a very valuable tool, but wouldn't be very popular with companies trying to flog us chemical nostrums to do the job...........

I think the honest answer is that nobody can be sure, but it would appear reasonable to "give it a twirl" on an experimental basis. Copper is widely used in plumbing, and acts to kill off all sorts of nasty bugs - the small traces wouldn't appear to be doing us much damage, so it is reasonable to hope that it shouldn't be damaging to bees - if it's effective against varroa, it could be a very valuable tool, but wouldn't be very popular with companies trying to flog us chemical nostrums to do the job...........
Why not wire a few strips of copper to the excluder, say 300mmX20mm equi spaced and watch the floor insert during the season, I think you will be surprised!

Why not wire a few strips of copper to the excluder, say 300mmX20mm equi spaced and watch the floor insert during the season, I think you will be surprised!
Are you going to try it?

I imagine silver sheathing would of been to expensive.

Deterioration of the hull of a wooden ship was a significant problem during the Age of Sail. Ships' hulls were under continuous attack by shipworm and various marine weeds, all of which had some adverse effect on the ship, be it structurally, in the case of the worm, or affecting speed and handling in the case of the weeds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_sheathing

silver threads in fabrics are being used for medical purposes. No magical power just silver is toxic to microbes even in the concentrations of a pin stripe in a fabric. Copper is toxic to various lifeforms. In fact SWBOs uni project wa poisoning plants with copper.
you might be better making the frame rails from copper or copper plating them. The condensation and higher temp will give you a higher level of copper ions in the space where the microbes might be.

Last edited:
silver threads in fabrics are being used for medical purposes. No magical power just silver is toxic to microbes even in the concentrations of a pin stripe in a fabric. Copper is toxic to various lifeforms. In fact SWBOs uni project wa poisoning plants with copper.

Would thin threads of silver wire prevent marine worms boring holes in a ships hull?
The uni project...drive some copper nails into a tree,tends to kill them.
What microbes did you have in mind being killed by copper frame runners?

Last edited:
Would thin threads of silver wire prevent marine worms boring holes in a ships hull?
The uni project...drive some copper nails into a tree,tends to kill them.
What microbes did you have in mind being killed by copper frame runners?
not many ships in a hive... the bees would get wet.

what microbes you got? nosema springs to mind but I dont know the copper or silver toxicology of nosema.

The silver approach would be more saleable it is even classed as a natural food additive E174...

not many ships in a hive... the bees would get wet.

Bit pointless you quoting and replying to my post about ships then,wasn't it.

But could be another project for you Derek.

Last edited:
This is an example how universities make vain work with varroa.
A 2-hive owner comes and invent a new method to handle the whole case.
First it is a question and on next page it is an approved fact.

Let me remind you islanders that copper is not approved method and it is so illegal!!! Lets meet in prison.

It is like "a queen cannot stand two oxalic acid treatment". First it was a question.Next day it was a fact and no university study cannot change it any more.

I know that my message will be moderated but it is your headache.

Last edited:
Bit pointless you quoting and replying to my post about ships then,wasn't it.

But could be another project for you Derek.

but I didnt quote you... unless every post is an implicit quote of the preceding post. I was answering the OP and the general thrust of the top not the digression

Last edited:
This is an example how universities make vain work with varroa.
A 2-hive owner comes and invent a new method to handle the whole case.
First it is a question and on next page it is an approved fact.

Let me remind you islanders that copper is not approved method and it is so illegal!!! Lets meet in prison.

It is like "a queen cannot stand two oxalic acid treatment". First it was a question.Next day it was a fact and no university study cannot change it any more.

I know that my message will be moderated but it is your headache.
No, your comment won't make my head ache and I can't see why it should.

I'm just a tad disappointed that you chose this thread to test whether your choice of words would be reported or moderated, and it makes me think of something Thumper said in the film Bambi.

Surely adults should be able to debate issues without resorting to nastiness, cynicism, one-upmanship, name-calling or silliness, even if they think the topic is pointless or stupid.

I guess that copper strips would be good around the crown board, to keep out of the draghts, caused by the matchsticks.

You never see barnacles or weed on the body of a conger eel, Is this something that we islanders should be rubbing on our bottoms to make us a bit slippy. It's either that or the dreaded copper helmets. A combination of the two would be a bit like a pair of opportunistic gibbons behind the bike shed :)

You never see barnacles or weed on the body of a conger eel, :)

Thats because they are full of mercury,and around Hinkley point they are also radio active, glow in the dark...wonder if keeping congers in the beehives would control varroa,or would the bees suffer from too much light contamination.

Yes it really was 2 hours and 40 minutes,good though.

Last edited:
Back