Asian Hornet in Devon

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see where you are coming from, the problem is the protein goes rank very quickly and very expensive to keep running, not effective imo either.
I'll explain why I dont think protein traps near beehives work, no science, just a few years watching AH's

An Asian Hornet will always take a live bee over a trap near a hive be it a protein or sugar trap. Lately I have spotted them taking dead bees from the front of the hive, something new to me. If a young inexperienced hornet hovers for a few minutes and tires after a unsuccessful hunt they may opt for a sugar trap. They like fondant, feeders they can get near or failing that traps. The best traps imo are ones with live insects in, especially other hornets, I accidentally left a honey jar out that I was feeding sugar solution to the bees, topped with cling film and a hole about the size of a 50p piece in the top, within 30 minutes it had caught around 30 hornets.

What they use in traps here are equal quantities of white wine, lager and a drink like ribena, my best success is with just what I feed my bees, 3.5-1 (water-sugar) I add a live hornet which keeps the bees away so you might need to add some beer.

Thanks for that. Very very useful.

There is much talk of the Asian Hornet in France but is it just because any hornets are likely to come from there or is it that they are only mostly in France? What about Spain, Italy, Germany, The Netherlands etc.? Do they have the same problems and why don't we hear about what they are doing too?

Thought I Had otter footprints over the yacht now at Calstock..... identified as mink by one of the wildlife trust bods who was canoeing up the greatgreygreengreaseytamarriverallsetaboutwithEUfundedquangoes

No Asian hornets tho!!
:biggrinjester:

Yeghes da

Unfortunately our association apiary manager has just reported seeing an Asian hornet hawking and taking a bee from the front of one of his own hives in his garden in Plymouth. Obviously he is waiting for the NBU to confirm the sighting, but he seemed pretty sure of what he saw.

Any news following the RBI's visit to the Barne Barton /St Budeaux apiary yesterday?

CVB

Thought I Had otter footprints over the yacht now at Calstock..... identified as mink by one of the wildlife trust bods who was canoeing up the greatgreygreengreaseytamarriverallsetaboutwithEUfundedquangoes

No Asian hornets tho!!
:biggrinjester:

Yeghes da

How dim are you lol , a Otter Front foot print is around the size of a medium sized dog, a Mink is around the same size as a ferret:D

I would guess there are smaller otters and larger ferrets in this world.

Probably not as dim as you, as he at least got them identified correctly and only "thought" they might be otter's, initially. I'll add a grin, too.:D

I would guess there are smaller otters and larger ferrets in this world.

Probably not as dim as you, as he at least got them identified correctly and only "thought" they might be otter's, initially. I'll add a grin, too.:D

A otter with a foot the size of a mink would barely be old enough to leave the Holt let alone swim so how dim are you..:D

A otter with a foot the size of a mink would barely be old enough to leave the Holt let alone swim so how dim are you..:D

BUT we are talking about the Greatgreygreengreasymightytamarriverallsetaboutwitholdmineworkingspouringradioactivesubstancesandanavaldockyardfullofoldnuclearsubspolloniumtrittiumetcetc....
mutant mink with feet the size of otters... there have been beaver sightings too.. plus the occasional Minke whale!!

Plus huge drifts of mutant HB.... no supprise the bees are so dark!!!

Mytten da

This is a question!
Naturally colonies in, say, rotted tree trunks or roof spaces may have several entrances. Does this give them an advantage when dealing with hornets? Would it for AHs?
If so, should we be experimenting with a completely different entrance system?

This is a question!
Naturally colonies in, say, rotted tree trunks or roof spaces may have several entrances. Does this give them an advantage when dealing with hornets? Would it for AHs?
If so, should we be experimenting with a completely different entrance system?

Like a Dartington's perhaps ;)

BUT we are talking about the Greatgreygreengreasymightytamarriverallsetaboutwitholdmineworkingspouringradioactivesubstancesandanavaldockyardfullofoldnuclearsubspolloniumtrittiumetcetc....
mutant mink with feet the size of otters... there have been beaver sightings too.. plus the occasional Minke whale!!

Plus huge drifts of mutant HB.... no supprise the bees are so dark!!!

Mytten da

Just messing by the way.. ;)

Like a Dartington's perhaps ;)

yes....and maybe additional levels. To be practical and acceptable the new 'entrances' would need to be a module which could be added to a national. I was thinking of a chamber with numerous pipe entrances at different sides and heights. Would the bees agree? Would it work or just provide the AHs with one bite sized snack at a time? I've no idea. My thought is that the 'traditional' protective systems have not been too successful across the world and some research is need to look at novel interventions. Fake bees or poisoned sacrificial bees perhaps. These ideas cannot be tested by ordinary beekeepers; it needs the research establishments and universities to be involved. Stephen Martin where art thou? (Sorry can't afford the book at that price)

Last edited:
Back