Any gloomy plant recommendations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
None of my own
I've a patch in my garden about 20'x5' which sees little direct sun - any recommendations for plants which will amuse and delight a passing honeybee (which seem to studiously ignore my garden anyway apart from the odd visit to the water butt)

If it's a bit brighter in spring( no leaves) maybe some nice early crocus. They love them and mob mine before they open trying to get to the pollen. Pretty much the only time they deign to be in my garden!

Periwinkle (Vinca) likes shade, and is evergreen; pretty purple-blue flowers.

Yes it's well worth a try, as are some of the flowering sages, and honeywort (cerinthe) but all best if sown in pots first and potted on until they are chunky little plants, before planting in your final site. After that it's up to them to reseed, which they probably will.

Could you try some Winter Aconites?
These naturalise easily and are a welcome pollen boost in winter/early spring.

japenese anenome, crocus, snowdrops, ivy, foxgloves, jacobs ladder, vipers bugloss, aliums, single rambling rose, - got all these in my shady patch. If practical, start some things in pots in the sun and move them into the shade mid year.

Joe Pye Weed grows just about in any condition, the text books say sun or partial shade but we have had it grow on a wet shady side of the garden.

http://goo.gl/DnFMo

Back