Aggressive splitting of colonies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote( Come spring, I want to forfeit any honey .... First post)

After all, you succeed to make 1000 hives with your handy girl friend.

A little bit work to deliver the hives on landscape on the radius of 200 miles.

You get 50 000 kg honey and you sell them all on the road verge with price £10/kg.

Get a nice girl friend that she stops the traffic.
The goal is to sell every day 500 jars. In 10 hours day work 50 jars in hour and in every minute 1 jar.

Last edited:
Or you sale them and repeat next year. Keep some back for winter lose. Reunited to make strong over winter stock. Many options

Or you sale them and repeat next year. Keep some back for winter lose. Reunited to make strong over winter stock. Many options

That's the plan! I certainly am not in the bee stockpiling business.

Thanks, I tried it years ago but found the bees loved making there own holes.. might give it another go at some point. Cheers

Yes you have to make sure the silver faces are tough enough, hence why I use Recticel and there is no holes in the faces and definitely no exposed foam. The grades of Celotex and Kingspan I have looked at had weak facing material compared to the Recticel. Celotex and kingspan are ok for house insulation not so good for beehives.

That is the most expencive way to make combs.

You honey yield goes to half with that system. No professional use that, if he is going to get his living from beekeeping..

As someone else has pointed out, I'm really not fussed about honey production. As long as I have enough to sell a few jars at the door and give some as gifts thats more than enough.

Also, I dont need to earn a living from beekeeping luckily enough, but im trying to offset some of my expenditure and save for a big event!

The aggressive splitting would only be for 1 or 2 iterations. Im not talking about 100's of hives.

I aim to keep 20 x double national brood colonies and sell 30-40 nucs each year, then build the colonies back up for the heather and overwinter strong colonies.

Last edited:
A good colony will indeed do well in timber.

However they will produce more in a poly.

PH

A good colony will indeed do well in timber.

However they will produce more in a poly.

PH
my original post was referring to moving a colony that has been well established in a warm hive then transferred to wooden hive. Our experience is a sudden increase in thermal conductance causes a marked reduction in the colony growth.

Want there a in depth thread of yours about poly hives @ D ?

Same applies if you move them from poly to timber they suffer a set back until the re-acclimatise. It's pretty obvious.

PH

As someone else has pointed out, I'm really not fussed about honey production. As long as I have enough to sell a few jars at the door and give some as gifts thats more than enough.

Also, I dont need to earn a living from beekeeping luckily enough, but im trying to offset some of my expenditure and save for a big event!

The aggressive splitting would only be for 1 or 2 iterations. Im not talking about 100's of hives.

I aim to keep 20 x double national brood colonies and sell 30-40 nucs each year, then build the colonies back up for the heather and overwinter strong colonies.

Said 10 hive owner

Why do you need to point out how many colonies, it's there choices?

A bee colony tends to make 2 swarms every year. Start is 100 colonies. If all stay alive, after 5 years colonies are 8000 and after 10 years 2 million.

After 20 years colonies are 120 million.

After 50 years 23 929 932 923 061 800 000 000 000 colonies.

Last edited:
How come you only have 20 colonies then?

Back