Adding undrawn supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Is there a best way to do this that means the bees are most likely to draw and fill them? Options I can think of are;

1. Just stick new undrawn super on top
2. Put new undrawn super directly above qx and then put existing super/s on top.
3. Take some full/filling frames out of existing super and checkerboard them through new super, making both supers a combination of drawn/undrawn frames

I'd checkerboard them, also less chance of them being creative with bracecomb
At what point do you add a second super? Is it when the existing one is 80% full of bees/80% full of nectar or 80% capped…or something else?

I’m leaning towards 80% full of nectar?

At what point do you add a second super? Is it when the existing one is 80% full of bees/80% full of nectar or 80% capped…or something else?

I’m leaning towards 80% full of nectar?
When it's got about half the weight. When the bees are evaporating the water off the nectar off they put a small amount in each cell before filling and capping the cells permanently so to speak. So they need more room than you would expect.

I have a box of sections which are of the type which fit into standard shallow frames but the bees don't seem to want to go into them never mind draw them. I wonder if checkerboarding them would encourage them or would I be wasting time. It would be nice to get some section comb honey. Any ideas?

I have a box of sections which are of the type which fit into standard shallow frames but the bees don't seem to want to go into them never mind draw them. I wonder if checkerboarding them would encourage them or would I be wasting time. It would be nice to get some section comb honey. Any ideas?
you need a good flow and a hive dangerously jam packed full of bees for them to work sections - and even then it's a lottery

I gave up on sections, cutting a frame of thin foundation is so much easier

Is it worth checkerboarding undrawn frames with drawn (extracted & empty) frames to get the new ones drawn out? I wish the idea had occurred to me before. I'd at least have given it a try.

James

Is it worth checkerboarding undrawn frames with drawn (extracted & empty) frames to get the new ones drawn out?
Do you mean to alternate undrawn & drawn? I have found that bees prefer to make the drawn much wider (less work, less fuel, quicker to fill) and combs end up handed, and cannot be swapped around later.

Do you mean to alternate undrawn & drawn? I have found that bees prefer to make the drawn much wider (less work, less fuel, quicker to fill) and combs end up handed, and cannot be swapped around later.

That's what I meant, yes. Sounds like it might not be such a good plan after all.

James

I sometimes put two frames of honey each side of the box to get the bees up there but putting the whole box at the bottom of the stack works better for me

Is it worth checkerboarding undrawn frames with drawn (extracted & empty) frames to get the new ones drawn out? I wish the idea had occurred to me before. I'd at least have given it a try.

James
it's how I always do it

That's what I meant, yes. Sounds like it might not be such a good plan after all.

James
I think it's a very good plan, they only tend to do what Eric suggests during a very heavy flow when they are really piling it in, even then, you just need to use some common sense and shuffle them around once they start drawing out the foundation

JBM made a good point, that the imblance of oversize drawn and thin newly-drawn occurs usually during a heavy flow.

Give it a go, and take a photo.
No better time than during a heavy flow to just throw on a full box of foundations, they are usually drawn, filled and capped within a week.

I add two supers at a time, in the order that they come out of the truck and on top . I don't like to come back and find they have backfilled Having tried most of the suggested methods I don't think it makes much of a difference during a flow. If they need it they will fill it.

Last edited:
When I do a demaree if the flows good I add a super above the brood nest of comb or foundation, double brood sometimes get two supers if there a strong colony foundation then comb they get into the comb up top and then draw the foundation bellow.
Checkerboarding is an interesting one I’ve had foundation ignored and comb built out.

Back