11 Frame Spacing Comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Castellated spacers won't work as they are square sided, but you've given me an idea. Draw round it on a piece of ply and extend the gaps between the frames to points and add a handle shape, then cut it out.
Cut the metal with tin snips.

I've actually got a pair of castellated spacers being delivered today. I will try and cut one and see if it works. I only brought this topic up, because I want to space 11 frames in a super without castellated spacers or plastic spacers. I tried it with my fingers and whilst I could eventually space them, it did take a long time and they still weren't space correctly.
I find 10 is better in supers, as they draw them out deeper and a bit less uncapping to do. I think you said you can get a 10 frame comb. Once frames ar drawn I know some on here use 9 in supers

Do you mean space 10 frames out without the use of a dummy board? Is that not to wide a gap?
Yes Thorne do a 10 spacer comb £6.
https://www.thorne.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name= spacing&product_id=8851
That is what I use, although I think I got them on offer.
They will space the frames so you aren't left with a big gap and won't need a dummy board. The bees just draw out the frames a little deeper and it's one less frame to process per super when it comes to extraction time, but the same amount of honey as each cell contains a bit more than it would have.

Post us a photo if it works - there may be others out in forumland that would like to do the same ...
So after receiving a pair of castellated 11 frame spacers today, I realised that cutting them to a point wouldn't work as there isn't any depth to the teeth. So I have got my son who is a computer designer to design and 3D print an 11 frame spacing comb, as there is no such thing on the market; only 8,9 & 10 frame spacing combs. Picture below of 3D printed comb. As mentioned earlier in this thread the 3D printing has had to be made in three sections as it doesn't fit on the printing board. If anyone is interested in acquiring a couple, then let me know and he can print as many as needed. Their probably going to cost about £4.50 each, £9 a pair. 🙂

Attachments

• IMG-20210201-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210201-WA0003.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-20210201-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20210201-WA0004.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 19
So after receiving a pair of castellated 11 frame spacers today, I realised that cutting them to a point wouldn't work as there isn't any depth to the teeth. So I have got my son who is a computer designer to design and 3D print an 11 frame spacing comb, as there is no such thing on the market; only 8,9 & 10 frame spacing combs. Picture below of 3D printed comb. As

Last edited:
I find it fascinating ,,, my son built his 3D printer and is now using it to print some of the pieces of a CNC 3D router he is now building. It's amazing what things can be produced and how robust they are when the density is set high. He's made some replacement cogs for his milling machine when the original nylon one broke .. new replacement ones are about £9 a throw, the 3D printed ones he's work out about 30p .... he's printed enough to replace them every month for a year but 6 months in he's only had to replace it once.

It's all above my technical ability and I marvel at what can be made.

Because with an 11 frame castellated spacer you have to have the frames situated in its slots with no lateral movement. I want the frames to be free to move sideways. A comb will space them out and give you plenty of sideways movement for easier removing of the frames. Just find it strange you can get these combs for 10 frame boxes but not for 12.
I don't intend to be rude but with one hive and presumably quite a newbie you think you know it all. Lateral movement is baloney. You want to make beekeeping more complicated for yourself for no good reason?

I don't intend to be rude but with one hive and presumably quite a newbie you think you know it all. Lateral movement is baloney. You want to make beekeeping more complicated for yourself for no good reason?
I think we both know that you are intending to be rude.
Also never assume anything. 😉

I find it fascinating ,,, my son built his 3D printer and is now using it to print some of the pieces of a CNC 3D router he is now building. It's amazing what things can be produced and how robust they are when the density is set high. He's made some replacement cogs for his milling machine when the original nylon one broke .. new replacement ones are about £9 a throw, the 3D printed ones he's work out about 30p .... he's printed enough to replace them every month for a year but 6 months in he's only had to replace it once.

It's all above my technical ability and I marvel at what can be made.
I got part 3D printed for my very old Dyson DCO3 vacuum 2-3 years ago. A bloke in China offered to do if I could send him the working drawings!!! Must have been joking - got an offer from a bloke in Walsall who wanted a fiver. Sent him £15 by electronic transfer and got about 6 of the parts by post. Machine still going wonderfully well and being used by our AgeUK house helper. He is part of a syndicate that does 3D printing but did me a favour. I have the chaps email and contact him regularly. Am sure he would be happy if I give it to anybody on here for the odd small job.

Whatever! Still think you are on the wrong road on that idea.
When it comes to spacing your 11 frames evenly in a super, there is no right or wrong way, just different ways of doing it. I have no experience of national hive 12 frame boxes and was amazed that here there is no mechanism for spacing them evenly without using your fingers or setting them in castellators or plastic spacers. In the U.S spacing frames freely is a very natural thing to do. It also allows very easy removal of the frames. 30 years ago I did it with my fingers, but since then combs have made the job a lot easier. I haven't beekeeped for 30 years, but I did have around 40 hives back then, producing honey for my friends and a local store.
Thanks for your really friendly posts.

Wonderful. Do you have any for sale?
If anyone is interested in spacing their 11 super frames freely without castellated or plastic spaces then I have created an 11 frame spacing comb from 3D printing. There are many 8,9 & 10 spacing combs for the American Market but none I know of for UK national hives. They have been designed by my son and work incredibly well! I tried them out today; they work perfectly. Please see the video below. They are very sturdy, 5mm thick, and come in three connectable parts. Each part connects together firmly in a dove tail joint. You could glue them together if you wanted to, but I didn't need to in the video. They were perfectly fine without any glue.
If your interested in a pair, please let me know in this thread, so my son has an idea how many to print out. The pair will cost £9 plus postage. For every pair sold on here, I will donate a pound to this forum.
Thanks John. 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_20210202_142004.jpg
    IMG_20210202_142004.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20210202-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20210202-WA0000.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210202_152201.jpg
    IMG_20210202_152201.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
I don't see the point in you using Hoffman's then, why not just use DN1's. Eventually they will propolis between the self spacing and one will be needing a dummy board.

I don't see the point in you using Hoffman's then, why not just use DN1's. Eventually they will propolis between the self spacing and one will be needing a dummy board.

Yeh, exactly.

I'll put you down as a definite no then. 🙂

Back