Asian Hornet in Devon

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3509

House Bee
Reaction score
Unfortunately there has been a confirmed sighting of the Asian Hornet in Woolacombe, Devon.

Sorry, the news is just breaking. The sighting has been confirmed by the NBU. That is all I know.

Is it too late to ask the Government to include the Asian Hornet in their Brexit negotiations / border controls agreement?

I believe it is inevitable that these little monsters will eventually inhabit the UK. Maybe we should look at education around hive protection and what else we can do to protect our colonies, whilst hopefully the boffins at various Universities look at ways to permanently remove them back to their native Asian regions.

Stands to reason:- we've had them here in Guernsey this summer and Devon is only a relatively short hop away.

6 miles from one of my apiaries

It's a pity the NBU is playing its card close to its chest. They have the hornet for DNA testing but they don't say whether they captured it or it was killed/captured/trapped by the beek or was it found dead (killed by the bees)?

I suppose the fact that it was found at an apiary means that it was alive in Devon at some time and found its way to a happy hunting ground near some hives.

The big question is "has it got any sisters with it?"

CVB

Let's hope if there's a nest that it's found before queens start leaving to overwinter.

Unfortunately our association apiary manager has just reported seeing an Asian hornet hawking and taking a bee from the front of one of his own hives in his garden in Plymouth. Obviously he is waiting for the NBU to confirm the sighting, but he seemed pretty sure of what he saw.

What is it about Devon and exotic pests? Wasn't Varroa in the UK 1st found there?

Latest posts

Back