yeasts and bio security

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
one of my other hobbies is wine and beer making, and one subject i want to get into this year is the storage and propagation of a yeast culture.

i dont wish to discover or invent/grow a "hedgerow maximus sqiffy us yeastyus"

what i want to do is to learn how to take a 5gm packet of shop brought yeast and to

1, store said yeast for 12 months as a liquid form
2, take samples of said yeast and to propagate into a larger volume to brew wine with
3, keep the yeast in a reasonble pure form for 12 months

for point one, i was thinking of using a half filled 250ml reagent bottle and a week acidic sugar solution or starter solution and a chest freezer, test tubes and or culture disks

point two , i was going to remove a liquid sample say 10 mls and then propigate it to 100 ml before adding to the wine must, may be more say 200ml in volume inside a 500ml reagent bottle

point three and many other steps is where i am struggling

i have several older wine books that talk about, yeast cultures in agar solution inside test tubes and using a meths burner to flame the test tube mouth and the use of a pressure cooker as an autoclave. i have also been spending far to much time reading about mushroom culture as they tend to be an extreamely bio sucurity aware goup. and go to great lentghs to keep thing hygenicly clean

can anyone explain what the preocess is correctly called and any links to youtube videos with good quality explainations and how to do so at home without building a massive glove box or a haz met room

also whats the opinion of pure alcohol as a steralizer and or hair bleaching liquid, whos name has just parted from my brain, steam under pressure and is there any other methods about for hoome table top use as a steralizing process and how to do so

Latest posts

Back