Would you be worried about nosema in a nearby hive, at this time of year?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ugcheleuce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7-10
Hello everyone

It looks like three of my seven overwintering hives may possibly be suffering from nosema (signs of dysentery both outside and inside the hive). The hives are located in a club apiary where there are hives from other beekeepers as well. There may be other reasons why the bees have dysentery, but if we assume that this is indeed nosema: should other beekeepers using the apiary be worried?

What I mean is: do you think I have a responsibility to kill off and remove those three hives as soon as possible?

I'm all for waiting a bit. The three hives are behind a shed and the other hives are all inside the shed, so drifting is not an issue. Robbing (if any) is unlikely to take place for another month or two. And I'm not going to secretly put some of my frames into the hives of other beeks :) If I read this right, there should be no risk to other beekeepers in the apiary, but what do you think?

Thanks
Samuel

You cannot help much any more them. Nosema has done its work. ....but you may try

Nosema spoils the gut epithel of workers. They have difficulties to start brooding.

I have got 2/3 of nosema bees Ok when I gove to them a frame of emerging bees.
Some dwindle away and in some the queen stops laying. And if you add bees, they got the disease too.

When bees start to forage and they live normally, nosema will be healed.

This winter I have had quite much nosema.

Keeps those hives and try the frame of emerging bees trick.

I have noticed my nosema hives so that when I gove pollen patty to hives, nosema bees did not start to consume patty. Earlier they have habit to come out from hives in freesing temps.

There is stuff to stop syrup fermenting that is supposedly able to cure nosema. It's not a bee medicine and the recipe can be found in a sticky here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

There is stuff to stop syrup fermenting that is supposedly able to cure nosema. It's not a bee medicine and the recipe can be found in a sticky here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It does not help, if the hive is already sick.

Latest posts

Back