Worth a look

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
No doubt many of you were at this lecture (2014) or have seen it but I used it last night for a beginners class and they were enthralled.

My objective was to wow them with the abilities of bees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqoZvVu1E7s

And this worked a treat along wtith some shorts on the eye and waggle dance. Lovely to see the looks of amazement on their faces.

PH

Off sick today and have just watched it. Nice little lecture for a newbee. I dont quite get him labelling drones as queens 'brothers' surely they are sons? I do understand everything else he talked about but just dont get that one point.

Drones only have the genes of the queen and no father genes therefore if the queen had a brother he would also have the same genes. Equally she can't have genetic sons as all fertilised eggs produce females.
In plants self-fertilisation is much the same.

nice video, i did like one of the questions at the end about colony size and was wondering how far that research has gone and if anything has been publish?

Ok i get it genetically sharing the same genes akes sense its just another astonishing thing about them, that their 'sisters' (queens) lay their eggs thus giving them their lives. An immaculate conception lol.

Latest posts

Back