Work Experience as a Bee Farmer (23 to 27 April)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris B

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
For anyone considering expanding their beekeeping to a commercial level, you could attend a course or seminar, or you could experience the real thing for a week, warts and all, with me in North Worcestershire.

Dates: 23 to 27 April 2012
Where: based Bromsgrove, Worcestershire.
Cost: £50 donation to forum (I don't want to profit but don't want timewasters either - agreed this solution with Admin.)

I can only take 3 people, so it's first 3 donations secure a place. (Mark can I ask you to make a note in this thread when full?)

I can't provide accomodation but Travelodge is less than a mile away and is £19 a night if booked well ahead. (n.b. Bromsgrove Travelodge NOT Bromsgrove Marlbrook which is 4 miles away). Good real ale pub nextdoor and curry house and fish and chips a few door down.

What will we be doing? General inspections, queen rearing, queen marking and clipping, nuc making, shook swarms/packages, moving bees, disease checks, and anything else that crops up as it's real life not a course. Unlikely to be extracting or kit maintenance but I don't mind setting a couple of hours aside to show the set-up.

And the small print:
You provide your own clean beesuit (or 2 if possible).
I'll provide gloves i.e. marigold and/or latex.
Wet weather gear - please bring some as we might have no choice but to work outside in the wet.
I'll provide lunch and drinks. You take care of own breakfast and evening meal.
You must be comfortable around lots of bees and not fearful of a sting or two.
I'll expect you to participate to some degree, but full on hard slog will be purely voluntary on your part.
Agricultural working hours :) i.e. some days might be longer than normal, but any casualties can retire early.
I do have an Employers Liability policy although I don't know if it's necessary in this case.

Very happy to answer questions. I might have overlooked things. Please ask.

I've picked this week as it dovetails with the Spring Convention for anyone making a long journey it might help.

:( would love to do it but due to working in education and it not coinciding with the school hols i will not be able to get the time off.

well i could get the time off but it would be permanant time off. P45 anyone lol.

I am interested in this Chris.
I have PM'd you for a phone number for a quick chat to see if I am suitable.....
Pete D

2 members have made a donation,so only one place left..

Hi Admin, make that 3 as I have just donated and hopefully secured my self a place
thanks
Pete D

brilliant opportunity - thanks Chris and if I'd been quicker off the mark I can't think of a better way of spending an April week than working out the logistics of what I do when I finally get sacked and get to spend more time with my bees :)

Hi Chris
Missed out - still celebrating Hogmanay! If you plan another opportunity please let me know.
Hope you all enjoy the hard work and experience.
Eb

fantastic offer. sorry to have missed out!
hope this works out well for all involved.

Hi Chris, Brian and Emyr
I am in the pub ! if you fancy joing me for a chat about next weeks work experience.
Pete D

Would be good to see some feedback on how it went. Very generous offer Chris I hope the weather is good and you all have a great time.
not worthy

If Chris is OK with it I was going to keep some sort of account of what we did throughout the week and put it on here at the end of the week, I wont have my laptop with me and expect to be too knackered to post daily !
Maybe try a beer and chat tonight if we are all about, say 9ish.

Pete

I would have loved to d it and would have jumped had I seen the thread. Though as the back's playing up, might not have been a good week...

Even better if we could get a few snatches of video of Chris at work in his apiary. Would be fascinating. Obviously, that's if he stops cracking the whip long enough for someone to take a couple of minutes video.

Back