Will the bees sort this out?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
agree with Swarm

clear the wax moth tunnels out

was this a wired frame? if so its receded from the bottom and is on its way to being a 'manky' frame to refer to your other post....

usable if nothing else to hand...but on its way

I agree the bees will sort it, though best to remove waxmoth larvae if possible.
Quite a few of my frames are "receded" like that but are fine. I read somewhere that the bees do that as they like free-hanging areas of comb where they perform dances as the vibration through the comb is important and doesn't work as well on a fully fixed comb.

The wax moth trail is old…I stored my frames in a chest freezer which I had operating for a week in the autumn to kill any larvae. The rest of the winter the freezer was turned off as it has a good rubber seal. Maybe I should have left the freezer on all winter to prevent the mould though? Just seemed an unnecessary expense…

The wax moth trail is old…I stored my frames in a chest freezer which I had operating for a week in the autumn to kill any larvae. The rest of the winter the freezer was turned off as it has a good rubber seal. Maybe I should have left the freezer on all winter to prevent the mould though? Just seemed an unnecessary expense…
DIg the wax moth trail out - bees have difficulty dealing with the crud the moth grubs leave behind but they will happily repair the space where there comb has been removed around the wax moth trail.

DIg the wax moth trail out - bees have difficulty dealing with the crud the moth grubs leave behind but they will happily repair the space where there comb has been removed around the wax moth trail.
If it was a super frame, would the same apply? (Not pollen, but wax moth frazz)? Dig out and allow the bees to fix?

How about this one? And what has caused the damage?

2C7C68ED-B4F1-4AD5-A9CA-A986B32EC641.jpeg

How about this one? And what has caused the damage?

View attachment 39567
i can't tell what has caused that....have you scraped any of the cells away with a hive tool or something? or it has banged against something else and the wax was brittle and crumbled...

either way, the rest of the frame looks ok and whilst (in my experience) they are unlikely to rebuild the section which is back to the old foundation, they will use it as a frame

Back