Will a swarm last in a nuc box?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geohorn

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
One of my colonies swarmed yesterday afternoon but were still clustered when I got home in the early evening. I managed to get them into a cordex nuc box and put in a frame with drawn comb but empty and an undrawn frame. I will be away all of today but wanted to know will they stay in the nuc box or swarm again? I don't have a spare hive at the moment. I haven't contacted my local CBKA contacts yet but I just wanted to know if they will last so I can do something at the weekend.

You might be lucky. Shame you did not have five spare frames!

They have already swarmed. They may abscond if you have stuffed them into an inconveniently small box.

Cross your fingers and hope they are still there. If it gets too hot they may just recluster close by, but if the scouts have found a more suitable accommodation, they could be gone.

On the other hand if it is the right size they will stay and probably build comb from the roof etc. I suppose it depends on the size of the box and the size of the swarm. Putting a frame of brood in may help anchor them.

Putting them in a shady spot temporarily may help them if weather hot as forecast.

Just put them in an old cardboard box of between 30 and 70 litres with a hole for an entrance of less than 20 sq cm...

They will be good for several days in there.

Back