Why won't they use the Super?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next time - why not remove surplus stores and replace with empty comb, if you have it, or foundation?

Far simpler than a four page saga about a small colony with a large unwanted space to heat in a not-so-warm period. KISS principle in operation.

RAB

On that rather dismissive note, I think I can say this thread has come to an end.

During this "four page saga", nearly 1700 forum members have visited the thread and may have learned, like I have, about stale foundation, spraying foundation with sugar water, badly cut Queen Excluders, spacing of frames in Supers, the need or not for a QX, dodgy origins of some foundation wax, insulation on top of the Super, Dave Cushman's plywood QX, brood in the Super and when (and where) to put Supers on. It seems to me that that is a result!

CVB

Why would they do that when there’s perfectly good foundation ready to be drawn?

Your ten frames in an eleven frame box will not help, where the extra combs are concerned. Try getting foundation drawn with just nine or even eight and yo would likely get loads more extra comb drawn! The problem will likely be exacerbated if the foundation is stale or contains other waxes than that of bees (like cheap chinese imports)

Use eleven frames in an eleven frame box. They were designed for that. In fact, I often start with twelve and reduce as they draw out the comb.

This and the other info is very useful so thanks. I just added a super last week and didn't know I shouldn't use castellations to start them off. That is what my thrones starter kit hives came with..

Well I always use ten frame castellations - even with undrawn foundation - and thus far have had no problems. Now starting off with nine frames is a fish of a totally different colour............

Well I always use ten frame castellations - even with undrawn foundation - and thus far have had no problems. Now starting off with nine frames is a fish of a totally different colour............

I'm sure you're correct in saying that it's possible to get the bees to draw 10 frames of foundation but the conditions must be right.

My original problem arose, I suspect, due to a combination of adverse conditions:

* the bees probably only had 6 or 7 frames of brood, instead of the 8 frames recommended in the thread. I was panicked into adding a super by tales on the forum of bees swarming due to overcrowding.
* the foundation was "stale" - it had been in the hive late last summer (August) but the bees had not drawn it (too late in the season?). Although the frames and foundation were wrapped in plastic for the winter, the foundation was not fresh and I eventually "freshened" it slightly with a hair dryer.
* the QX I initially used was a a bit on the tight side of being perfect so that may have discouraged access.
* the weather cooled down shortly after I installed the new Super and this may have affected nectar supplies.

All in all, it was a learning experience and I hope other newbees benefited from it as much as I did!

CVB

Back