Why not think about rehoming?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brosville

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
I tend to avoid new year's resolutions, but there is something I feel worthy of mention - thanks to the downturn, animal rescue centres are even more awash than normal with unwanted pets, so it may be just the time to look at giving one (or more) of them a home. Many of the dogs available are Staffies, and having taken on a rescued one early in the year following the loss to ill-health of a Jack Russell, I cannot recommend them highly enough - they've had a bad press thanks to the eeejits who'd bought them because they wrongly imagine they're "tough", and rapidly become disillusioned when they find out that they're sociable, affable, and frankly "soppy".........
The Kennel Club says "Extremely reliable, highly intelligent and affectionate, especially with children." - mine is wonderful with my 15 month old grandson, loves being pulled about by him, and nearly wags her tail off when he arrives - http://www.battersea.org.uk/dogs/staffies.html - (there are other rescue centres!)
A couple of months later we added another rescued Jack Russell to keep her company - they are the greatest of buddies!

Here they are relaxing having been getting up to mischief (with a dirty face!)

sofadogs2.jpg

I'll go with the sentiments .
My dog is a rescue dog !!!!
Somehow I think she would be jealous if she have competition ??

img052.jpg

VM

She's a beauty! Great fun after a muddy walk....

She's a beauty! Great fun after a muddy walk....
Muck flies off her :).(all over the place ):rofl:
SWMBO does all the grooming ! she sprays her with something called no-tangle and gets stuck in! they both enjoy . Margaret for the sheer enjoyment and Sasha for the anticipated reward :)
VM

Excellent site! Our Staffie was a stray, and the Jack Russell is an Irish refugee (a local rescue centre brings over van loads to avoid them being put down....) - we're sure he was beaten when young, and has couple of missing teeth despite only being around a year old when we got him, and when we lifted a hand a bit too fast he looked petrified and "ducked" - at first he'd hide under things all the time - after many months he's now feeling secure, is really "coming out of his shell" and is devoted to the Staffie - any time you spend on a dog like this is repaid a thousandfold when you see them really start to enjoy life....

As a Dog breeder, I think that the responsibility of re homing dog should fall back onto the breeder. Every Dog breeder should be made to Microchip every single dog born, the chip should the be registered to the new owner and also the breeder. If the dog is found homeless it should be taken back to the owner, if they cant be found the dog should then be taken back to the breeder to deal with. This may put a stop to people just breeding dogs for cash and giving the dogs to un fit owners.

Here is our rescue - big but soppy, lovable and extremely possessive and protective of the house and those in it...

For some reason the pic has downloaded as a thumbnail, so he looks small...but he weighs in at 12 stone...and is on a diet...

Years ago, I took on a dog from the Weimaraner Rescue.
The dog was a nightmare and in such bad condition the vet refused to treat it and told me they had no business giving out a dog like that, and to take it straight back to them :(

Could i add that there are other animals that need rehoming as well.

Im not into dogs or cats but have rehomed, rabbits, guinea pigs, and chickens. At present there is a real problem with chickens as im sure you are all aware that the battery chicken system has just been stopped and all the welfare centers are crying out for people to take them (inc the RSPCA).

so if you want a pet but dont want dogs or cats have a look around there are lots of animals that may suit you.

Give an animal a good new year.

Could i add that there are other animals that need rehoming as well.
:iagree:
We've thought about ex-farmed hens, but haven't got any further than that.

Our cat came from the local Cat and Kitten Rescue, she was about 3 when we got her, and is about 16 or 17 years old now.

Years ago, I took on a dog from the Weimaraner Rescue.
The dog was a nightmare and in such bad condition the vet refused to treat it and told me they had no business giving out a dog like that, and to take it straight back to them :(
This surprises me! Breed specific rescue societies are usually very good indeed!
The Samoyed rescue society took great pains with our adoption of Sasha .
We were visited more than once by different members ,who gave us, the house/garden a once over made recommendations about the garden fence even though the land surrounding it is ring fenced with security fencing :).
Micro=chip was duly reregistered . Sasha had already been neutered ( this to prevent commercial usage) and pedigree papers retained by society .
Follow up visit was done a couple of years down the line .
No payment was demanded although we made a generous donation and still do on a regular basis as their work costs money .
The local dog/cats home does no checks , requires an upfront payment and off you go with whatever animal . I know they're cash strapped but really , it would be possible to purchase and cook and eat a dog without notice . 'Not Good practice'
VM

Many of the dogs available are Staffies,

Do you know why Staffordshire Bull Terriers are generally good with people? Aggressiveness towards people was seen as a bad trait and outbred by the baiting/fighting fraternity because often a person had to step in and separate then from whatever they were attacking, and you do not want the dog turning on the person.

The problem with Staffies is that they are lethal with other animals, including other dogs. I think they should be banned by law along with other attack dogs.

That's a total fallacy- as with all breeds there will be the occasional "rogue", but Staffies are well known for their affability with people and other animals - ours will allow the Jack Russell to take the bone out of her mouth, and will then crouch down and emit a mournful "he's pinched my bone" sigh.....
I took mine to the local dog training classes where they confirmed that Staffies are a total delight, and I've never found anyone who's had difficulties with them - all the owners end up totally besotted with them.
As for other "attack dogs", I've never heard such utter pollocks, and will cheerfully quote the Kennel Club - "Extremely reliable, highly intelligent and affectionate, especially with children."

Here's an article about them - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1481214/Adolf-the-devil-dog-now-known-as-Bundles.html -from which -

"The popularity of the breed, unfortunately, seems at least in a minority of cases to have something to do the idea that they are just the sort of vicious, baby-chewing brutes that would look good at one end of a chain wrapped around a tattooed fist. According to Ms Taylor, they aren't like that at all - and the epidemic of abandonments reflects that disappointment.
"Your biggest risk with a Staffie," she says, "is getting licked to death. They are very energetic and very attention-seeking. The biggest problem we hear on our Behaviour Hotline about Staffies is insecurity. They get called `The Nanny Dog' because they are so good with children."

This surprises me! Breed specific rescue societies are usually very good indeed!
The Samoyed rescue society took great pains with our adoption of Sasha .
We were visited more than once by different members ,who gave us, the house/garden a once over made recommendations about the garden fence even though the land surrounding it is ring fenced with security fencing :).
Micro=chip was duly reregistered . Sasha had already been neutered ( this to prevent commercial usage) and pedigree papers retained by society .
Follow up visit was done a couple of years down the line .
No payment was demanded although we made a generous donation and still do on a regular basis as their work costs money .
The local dog/cats home does no checks , requires an upfront payment and off you go with whatever animal . I know they're cash strapped but really , it would be possible to purchase and cook and eat a dog without notice . 'Not Good practice'
VM

The dog (it was a he) had all his ribs showing and chronic diarrea. The rescue centre lady told me was pining because he didn't "get on" with being at the centre, and if he was brought back from re-homing again he would have to be destroyed.
It turned out he had something I vaguely remember as being "Grain Mites", which infest badly-stored food, or so the vet said.
After treatment, blood tests etc, worming, and Hill's diet, his weight became normal very quickly.
He was so thin I was embarrassed to be seen out with him because of the looks I was getting!
He was not neutered either, which accounted for a lot of his behavioural problems - easily sorted.

Shadow lived until he was 11 when he got spondylosis, and eventually the vet said it was time to call it a day.
If I can find the photo of him when we first got him I will scan it and post it - it was a truly shocking business.

Because we only keep what we can eat and that was a choice we made a few years ago because of the increased prices of feed.

How does it taste, are they tagged, do they need movement control?

Sorry, just messing with you, but that's because, to me, the worst smell on this earth, is dog, but that's just me with my sense of smell and we are all made differently....

we rescued this girl 8 years ago, she was in a stable and going to be taken out onto moor and shot. her only crime was that her owner moved out of bedsit and didnt come back for her B******. OH brought her home, where our first dog took and instant hatred to this intruder.!:eek: Luckily for suzi my mum decided that she would enjoy the company of a quite dog so adopted her. she has now been rehomed to one of my cousins in devon when my mum passed away 2 months ago. I still felt it was my responsibility to find the right home for her This photo was taken 2 weeks ago - think she has them sorted out! apparently husband cant say no to her! If my dogs had got on with her then i would have had her back, but for some reason my oldest dog really doesnt like her?

Latest posts

Back