Who has the bee base data?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alldigging

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
"LBKA have acquired NBU's hive data for greater london region under licence for research purposes (a lengthy procedure requiring multiple data protection/non disclosure agreements and us being able to demonstrate we can use it safely for purpose acquired ). Records are updated as bee inspectors visit registered apiaries, we were supplied data year by year for the past decade and you can see how the records change, apiaries and numbers of hives at locations do go up and down they don't just go up and up as new ones are added and old ones are not taken off. The updating procedure may be slow and not entirely accurate but it is the best data available on hive and apiary numbers and locations. Data can be improved if everyone takes 5 minutes once a year to update their apiary records on the NBU online portal."

So how many other associations have access to apiary locations?

That's why I put the absolute bare minimum of information in.

I certainly did not agree to my information being deceminated to third parties, so I guess NBU are already in breach of the Data Protection Act.

From BBKA FB page

Geordy Mark: LBKA have acquired NBU's hive data for greater london region under licence for research purposes (a lengthy procedure requiring multiple data protection/non disclosure agreements and us being able to demonstrate we can use it safely for purpose acquired ). Records are updated as bee inspectors visit registered apiaries, we were supplied data year by year for the past decade and you can see how the records change, apiaries and numbers of hives at locations do go up and down they don't just go up and up as new ones are added and old ones are not taken off. The updating procedure may be slow and not entirely accurate but it is the best data available on hive and apiary numbers and locations. Data can be improved if everyone takes 5 minutes once a year to update their apiary records on the NBU online portal.

He goes on to say:

Geordy Mark
Geordy Mark No ones personal data is being shared with us just hive numbers and apiary numbers. Complain away you have nothing to complain about
Like · Reply · 49 mins
Geordy Mark
Geordy Mark We can compare this data on hive numbers with gigl data on foraging habitat distribution and quality
Like · Reply · 29 mins
Geordy Mark
Geordy Mark
Geordy Mark's photo.
12733583_10153886966765409_1465749444864703808_n.jpg

Geordy Mark
Geordy Mark This allows us to prioritise forage planting initiatives, we are gaining momentum with this and have offers from a growing list of landowners wanting to plant for bees, which we are in a position to fund raise for through charitable grants. For example were Planning to invest £12k plus in planting for bees just this year fund raised by yours truly!

And quite what are the research purposes?

I would say that FERAL or whatever they call themselves now and LBKA are treading a very fine tightrope and this geordiemark character whatever kind of fish that is. I would say skirting right on the shadowy edges of legality and misuse of government data.nowadays you have to go through hoops just to talk to another law enforcement department on matters of national security!!

let alone brag about it on FB who now owns the data he put on there. What a right Kermit

"LBKA have acquired NBU's hive data for greater london region under licence for research purposes (a lengthy procedure requiring multiple data protection/non disclosure agreements and us being able to demonstrate we can use it safely for purpose acquired ). Records are updated as bee inspectors visit registered apiaries, we were supplied data year by year for the past decade and you can see how the records change, apiaries and numbers of hives at locations do go up and down they don't just go up and up as new ones are added and old ones are not taken off. The updating procedure may be slow and not entirely accurate but it is the best data available on hive and apiary numbers and locations. Data can be improved if everyone takes 5 minutes once a year to update their apiary records on the NBU online portal."

So how many other associations have access to apiary locations?

When LBKA acquired the data were they also given consent to share this information on Facebook or on any website?

It might be worth checking with the inspectorate because by sharing that map it does look like a breach of data handling rules.

Latest posts

Back