Which type of honey extractor???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to stick my neck out here - if your target is 3-6 hives, 4 frame tangenital is fine (gives you the option of extracting brood frame size if needs be on occasion) go for the stainless steel with integral settling tank and filter - means you can extract to your hearts content withou stopping every five minutes to empty the extractor, but remember you have to lift the settling tank up a bit to get a bucket under it at the end of extraction and it does get very heavy (just have a hulking great lump of muscle around to lift it for you) Maisies usually have one in their autumn sales so if you can, loan one for now and get one for next season (as with Mogget - try before you buy!)
Did a time and motion study this year using a 4 frame tangenital and a 9 frame eclectric radial - no real difference in time spent, just the radial allowed me to be doing this while it does its thing!

JBM, that's interesting that a 4 frame tangential didn't take any longer than a 9 frame radial.

I've been told the opposite because theres no need to reverse the frames an d that the honey is flung out better from a radial.

I'm also in the market as my 3/6 tangential is quite slow.

I note that the ones from Germany are back on ebay at £159.00

JBM, that's interesting that a 4 frame tangential didn't take any longer than a 9 frame radial.

I've been told the opposite because theres no need to reverse the frames an d that the honey is flung out better from a radial.

I'm also in the market as my 3/6 tangential is quite slow.

You can't hurry with a radial - especially with the weight of the frames this year, so by the time you've de-capped nine frames, put them in, waited a while for the machine to get going, etc,etc going at a nice gentle pace, there's not much difference in time, but obviousl a lot less work with an electrict radial.

You can't hurry with a radial - especially with the weight of the frames this year, so by the time you've de-capped nine frames, put them in, waited a while for the machine to get going, etc,etc going at a nice gentle pace, there's not much difference in time, but obviousl a lot less work with an electrict radial.

Not being over filled with energy I have had to keep going back and having another short burst..

If you can get your hand inside and clean some honey off the inside and then do another spin, its interesting to see how much more comes out of the frames.

All that work for two jars!!!! Why do I bother?

I bought the plastic one from Thornes. Although it was all I could afford I wish I had saved and bought a bigger stainless one electric one. Even with only 8 supers to extract I found it a faff. Especially when some of the supers were deeps. It only fits two at a time! And spinning manually is hard graft! Mind you, I am probably that little bit healthier for it. My advise is to get the biggest you can afford.

I've been watching with interest myself , as I have been giving most frames back to nucs this year to build up my hives , so have been crushing and straining with not many frame spare.

I use a 9 frame radial
I decap three frames and while I am uncapping the next three I start extracting the first three, do that in a conveyor belt and the whole thing is done more quickly and stays better balanced.
I also use a three frame tangential which as pointed out, is a godsend when it comes to brood frames as they don't fit in the radial!
E

Anyone use a manual radial? Electric a bit pricey and seem to be much bigger, which is a problem for me.

Just extracted 16 supers. Used the agri nova 8 frame radial, drill driven, stainless steel. Had it for 5 years. Now just under £500 ( think I paid 360) Not much more than their manual. Used manual for my first season. So glad did not have to turn the crank for this lot. Excellent service from them too.

Why do they wait?
Don't you put them straight into the extractor?

I can feel a design for an uncapped frame holding rack with drip collector coming on. 'Er indoors might want to know why I want to buy an Argon arc welder and a stock of stainless steel though.

I thought the same, I just decap and put it straight in, when the extractor has got 12 frames spin it up

The discussion has moved on a very long way from the OPs question.

First year, one hive, not much honey.
Don't buy any extractor - rent/borrow from your Association.

Latest posts

Back