Which Hornet???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinL

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Has anyone read the R.S.P.B. magazine this month? :mad:

Article entitled “Time’s up for invasive non-native species” mentions our new friend, the Asian hornet, (Vespa Velutinia) . The magazine however, shows a picture of the Giant Japanese hornet, (vespa mandarinia).

At a time when UK beekeepers are threatened by the invasive Asian hornet, to be giving out false information such as this is inappropriate at best, possibly negligent.

Surely a basic error like this casts doubt on any scientific hypothesis the society may promote in the future. :facts:

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

What a bunch of idiots!
Who do they think they are, the BBC? :svengo:

Just received Email from them,

They want to know what magazine it was in???????

Surely "Asian Hornet" doesn't pop up too many times in a publication on preservation of birds?
They have their noses in too many things, I joined when I thought they were "R.S.P.B.", before they spent more than half their revenue on advertising and lobbying!

Has anyone read the R.S.P.B. magazine this month? :mad:

Article entitled “Time’s up for invasive non-native species” mentions our new friend, the Asian hornet, (Vespa Velutinia) . The magazine however, shows a picture of the Giant Japanese hornet, (vespa mandarinia).

At a time when UK beekeepers are threatened by the invasive Asian hornet, to be giving out false information such as this is inappropriate at best, possibly negligent.

Surely a basic error like this casts doubt on any scientific hypothesis the society may promote in the future. :facts:

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

What a bunch of idiots!
Who do they think they are, the BBC? :svengo:

Our local rag (Hull Daily Mail / East Riding Mail) ran a load of tripe with contributions from the great unwashed that included a photo of a dead hornet that on cursory inspection was a moth. You can't cure stupidity!

They have their noses in too many things, I joined when I thought they were "R.S.P.B.", before they spent more than half their revenue on advertising and lobbying!

:iagree:

Obviously birds aren't raking in enough little old ladies' legacies and hard cash now and they've rebranded themselves as the champions of nature which in a way is fair enough as the RSPCA has totally lost it's way (but then again, it's original objective was to look after stray dogs not waste all its donor money on erroneous and malicious trumped up civil cases against hunts which then get thrown out of court at great expense to the taxpayer)
Last RSPB stand I saw at a show it was all hedgehogs and fluffy bunnies (far better for attracting old biddies) and hardly a mention of birds - apart from raptors - that's a good one for raking in cash as well.

Last RSPB stand I saw at a show it was all hedgehogs and fluffy bunnies (far better for attracting old biddies) and hardly a mention of birds - apart from raptors - that's a good one for raking in cash as well.
Same here, and they couldn't understand why I wouldn't give them some money to save hedgehogs. I did take the (waste my) time to tell them we have them nesting in our garden almost every year, and that there's a very good hedgehog rescue nearby.

Last RSPB stand I saw had a photo of a Woodcock on it, they were amazed I knew what it was.

Possibly because they didn't know themselves??:icon_204-2:

How do I post pics on here?

Last edited:
Possibly because they didn't know themselves??:icon_204-2:

How do I post pics on here?

You use the "Manage attachments" button below the message area. If it won't accept the photo, it's probably too big a file size so just reduce it

Think I've managed that now?

According to the RSPB;
This is the Asian Hornet! ? :nono::nono::nono:

Attachments

• RSPB.jpg
    RSPB.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Back