Where to place ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froggy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi I have a 20 acre field, mostly grass, my question is where in the field is the best place to put the hive ? hedge row ?

I have my hives in the corners of my fields fenced off. That way they are not disturbed by grazing livestock. I have to trim behind the hives regularly as the hedge quickly fills up the gap I left behind.

Near the hedge with shelter from prevailing wind. Entrances facing East or South East.
NOT in a frost pocket...so a decent distance from the hedge.
Fenced off is good.

If you've an open aspect in terms of the prevailing wind, might be clever to have the hedge 'to windward' of your hives, that's assuming a hedge which even in winter is a bit of a wind shield. Space of course needed to move around the back and sides of your hives when you are attending to them.

If wind is an issue, of course another action might be a short strip of wind shield fence on one or two sides of the hives.

Another thing: in due course you will have heavy objects - supers full of honey! to carry from the hives so have in mind ease of access with a vehicle or whatever.

Latest posts

Back