Where to place extracted brood box.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjosephd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I have two hives that are...

ROOF
BB (honey)
EXCLUDER
BB (brood)
FLOOR

I want to extract the deep honey boxes and return them to the hives without excluders and feed so they can over-winter on double brood.

Would you return the empty box to the top or the bottom?

BJD

Depends what you want your bees to do. If solid brood in BB then I'd put on top, give HM some more laying room. Maybe move any full of stores brood frames up there as well.

To be honest you don't need to over winter on double brood, why fill frames that won't be used with sugar. Also two brood box's is a lot of feed unecessarily. If you are going to add another box and it is empty then I would put it on the bottom. They will use it if they want to or you give so much food that they have to!
If they don't use it then it will just sit there all winter empty. If you put it on the top they will fill it with everything that is presently in the bottom box!
E

To be honest you don't need to over winter on double brood, why fill frames that won't be used with sugar. Also two brood box's is a lot of feed...
E

Yup... agreed.

However, I can't be sure where I will be or what I will be doing come mid-winter, or next spring.

At the risk of not being around to put fondant on them, or to give them additional space as they start to increase I want to buy myself some food and time.

I have a couple hives I won't be doing this with, but a couple strong ones I will.

Also I don't really have many hives... so the feed cost is not prohibitive.

Latest posts

Back