When to make up frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beenovice

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been building two more hives for the coming season. I have a nucleus ordered for May, which will become my second hive. Someone once told me not to make the frames up too early, as the foundation will go hard. Is this correct, or should I start building up some frames?

Never had that problem myself. I have used frames with new foundation thats been in there over winter and its been fine tbh. I would have thought the higher temperature in the hive would soften the wax to be honest but if your worried, make them as late as you can.

I make up my frames in advance, usually over the winter, and fit the foundation just before I think it will be needed. This works, as long as you have remembered to buy the foundation, so it is ready to fit!

Make the frames and leave the foundation until later if it worries you. Just found some I didnt know I had.........looks OK. Wish I had found it yesterday or that the well known beekeeping equipment supplier's web site had still been down.

If frames with foundation have been stored over winter in a cold place they are usually very brittle. I bring them inside and let them warm up before transporting to the apiary, or if in a hurry a quick careful blast with a hairdryer makes them a bit softer and less liable to breakage when transporting.

Part make the frames, put sidebars on and the one bottom bar that is opposite the static piece of the top bar. All you have to do then is click off the wiggly bit of the top bar, put wax in, put wiggly bit and last bottom bar back on. Done in less than a minute. I have loads made up and stored away like this in case of emergencies. That way you can keep you wax all sealed and fresh until you need it.
E

as above - make the frames in advance during the long dark cold winter months (?) leaving out the foundation and the wedge bit from top bar and one of the bottom bars.

I'm making frames today, Foundation and all. I put some supers on last year with foundation that had been in the frame's for two years. The bees drew it out within a week during the july flow.

Does anyone have experience of foundation going hard, and this being a bad things for the bees when drawing comb, or is it more a case of hearing that it might be a bad thing and playing it safe?

I have been building two more hives for the coming season. I have a nucleus ordered for May, which will become my second hive. Someone once told me not to make the frames up too early, as the foundation will go hard. Is this correct, or should I start building up some frames?

I intend to make up a load early, but leave a bottom bar out. The wax can go a bit hard or lose its smell (revived with a hairdryer) but you can avoid that by having the frame 90% ready to go.

Does anyone have experience of foundation going hard, and this being a bad things for the bees when drawing comb, or is it more a case of hearing that it might be a bad thing and playing it safe?

See my post above. Cold causes the wax to become hard and brittle but a little heat restores it before putting in the hive.

Latest posts

Back