When to inspect hives.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sukis-dad

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have successfully got my two colonies through the winter and they are doing very well with a couple of supers on one of them.
Although I am a newbie beekeeper I believe in disturbing the colony as little as possible.

I have inspected them only three times this year but have never been able to find a Queen.

On the 29 April I caught a swarm in my garden and put it in a Nuc. I think they have come from one of my two hives.

I inspected both hives on 30 April and found a number of QCs.
I removed all but two leaving a sealed and an open one (hopefully).

On 6 May I had another swarm, also from one of my hives, which I caught and put in a second Nuc.
Both Nucs have been fed and they are doing very well.

My plan is to unite the Nucs into my hives but my problem is knowing when to do it.
I have not opened the hives since the 30 April.

Will it be OK to open them now and look for signs of the new queens?

Many thanks Brian

My plan is to unite the Nucs into my hives

I assume here you are wishing to achieve requeening by this operation? I would wait until the new queen is mated and laying satisfactorily and demonstrating a good temperament. That way you will have a new queen and a very strong colony as there will be continuous egg laying (apart from the few days (from before swarming until new comb was constructed).

I should have asked whether one swarm was a cast, or both primes? It might make a difference as you will now have two new queens and may wish to unite in some other way to achieve either one very large colony or requeen, or strengthen your other colony.

So lots of options to think about. Frame comb changing is another option to consider. As is varroa control - the swarms are without capped brood, so it may be a good time to reduce the mite level. The old hive with the new queen could be treated for mites when the colony has open brood.

Regards, RAB

thanks RAB

I think they were both primes.
One colony is smaller than the other and one Nuc is bigger than the other so I intend to unite small with large and large with small if that makes sense.

My first year was a disaster with a Queen that hadn't been mated properly.

You said "I would wait until the new queen is mated and laying satisfactorily and demonstrating a good temperament".

That was my question, when to inspect to see if the queen is laying. It's only been 10 days since I removed the QCs.
Brian

Your new queen could have emerged only 5 days ago - probably earlier - I would leave them alone for at least another week to allow her to mate. We have had fantastic weather over here and I have had queens laying 14 days after emergence:D - very much weather related.

Latest posts

Back