When to check for queen cells?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zante

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
I added a frame of eggs and young larvae on monday.
When can I check for a queen cell? I was thinking of checking on sunday as per usual for inspections, but I'd like to check sooner so I have more margin to intervene if necessary.
Would tomorrow (thursday) be too early?

Also, what are the chances of the bees having attached the cell on both frames, so that I might rip it open when separating them?
I know, I'm being a bit paranoid, but so much has gone wrong this year I'm getting a bit pessimistic.

I have heard it said that you can check at 4 days but no doubt the regulars will put you right soon.

I have heard it said that you can check at 4 days but no doubt the regulars will put you right soon.
I am with you on that, if you need to look then look they make them pretty quick, if you have one emerged that you want to keep leave then alone for 3+ weeks.

The best thing to do is to get your hive tool and half way down the face of the frame on one side remove a section of comb down to the foundation. About 4 cm deep and 6 cm wide immediately under cells with eggs in.this is where the queen cells will now get built. They will be safe and will be reasonable quality.
I was taught this trick a few years ago, it never fails, and has saved me many times from accidentally destroying queen cells
E

The best thing to do is to get your hive tool and half way down the face of the frame on one side remove a section of comb down to the foundation. About 4 cm deep and 6 cm wide immediately under cells with eggs in.this is where the queen cells will now get built. They will be safe and will be reasonable quality.
I was taught this trick a few years ago, it never fails, and has saved me many times from accidentally destroying queen cells
E

A bit late now, the frame went in three days ago! :D

I'll keep it in mind for the future though, could be a useful tip, even if I might go for a graft once I have more confidence in my hive manipulation.

EDIT:
Actually... that tip might be useful especially if I go for a graft, because if I do I'll be using an artificial cup. That way I can choose where to have the cell built rather than having to use a cup the bees have built

Last edited:
Meh...

Looks like it won't be an issue. Went to check yesterday and I found another frame with eggs (and at the bottom of the cell, so not laying workers).

They came out of winter in a rather poor condition, they weren't building up as fast as they should have even with the robinia flow. I'm thinking that the queen was damaged in some way and they replaced her, that would explain the laying gap I saw.
I'm thinking this is a new queen because I spotted A LOT more eggs than I've ever seen this year.

I didn't see any queen cells at all, but these bees like to make a lot of wax, and some of the older frames I have to remove have become quite deep. Maybe one of those "wow, those are big drone cells" was a queen cell instead.

Latest posts

Back