When do people shut up for winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB008

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
There seems a huge variation in terms of when people stop inspecting in the Autumn. My feeling is that if the weather is still warm and the ivy out then I am going to carry on having a look. It lets me see what stores they really have and allows a check for any amiss. Last year I did my last checks in mid October. How do others view this?

many will no longer be looking in - stores can be assessed by hefting. what else do you need to know? queen may be off lay due to treatment or reducing brood due to season. what are you going to do about it?

general idea i would say is that hives should be put to bed finally by bonfire night.

good general principle i was taught as a house officer many years ago - don't request a test that you don't need and aren't going to act on. same applies here. nothing to be done but finish feeding and treating. neither requires hive opened.

every opening sets hive back, the cooler the external temp the more the setback.

weekly opening over the next month probably equates to a fair whack of sugar metabolised!!!!

I tend to agree, but mainly because I am useless at hefting.

Edit: I certainly won't be opening weekly though

Last edited:
i opened hives on a warm day mid-late oct last year but that was only to finally remove feeders and fit insulated roofs - had a quick look and still a good few frames of brood at that time.

Had a good look through last week to get an idea on stores and weight but from now on will just be hefting and feeding if necessary

Won't be so good to be looking every week at this time of year if you accidentally squash the queen will it.

But if you have a perspex crown board you can take a look to see if they have eaten all the fondant without getting them cold or going inside or is that also "not recommended" or not what being considered here

When do people shut up for winter

I hope they don't........................ OH the BEEHIVES !!!!

My last inspections were 2 weeks ago to check for queens on 4 superseded hives....
queens seen, not marked, eggs and small, medium and capped brood.........
all others were checked by the time the kids were back to school

I do not expect to see them on the frames for another 6 months..... but those clear crown boards are so reassuring!!!

But if you have a perspex crown board you can take a look to see if they have eaten all the fondant

I have two poly boxes and they are fine with polycarbonate crown boards.....bone dry.
The wooden hive leaves a fair bit of condensation so I have a wooden crown board on that one

Last inspections early next month. Weather has been rotten in the NW this year, but sunny today and I've seen lots of pollen going in. Bees are still on the Balsam.

Temperature forecast for tomorrow is 22C here.
BBC Met man talking about possible 27 next week...

Seems altogether too early for closing up for the season.

I haven't even done the Apiguard, yet, but they were all over the place until November last year. Will have the Api on very shortly, mind.

Havent done a full inspection since the end of july. Checked stores a few times while they were on the heather. Feeding will stop at the end of sept or theyll not be able to reduce the water content enough. Will take feeders off and that will be it till probably April next year.

Some people never shut up. Oh how I wish they would :)

Wish I was allowed to shut up for the winter!!

Think as others have said it depends on the state of you hives. I have just put second week of treatment on, did a full inspection before I started and will probably not need to go through in full again.

Just hefting.

We are just feeding like mad.

Still got afew things to do (treat for varroa on one hive and also check an introduced queen has been accepted) and then they will be left to it.

It's different from location to location admittedly, but I don't understand the need to be applying feed in such high quantities and for so long. If stores are so low that huge amounts of syrup are required, maybe a different approach should be considered.

My bees are offered 4 litres per hive on average and are not fed in spring. There again, I may be too generous with their natural resources ;)

Latest posts

Back