Whats in flower in your area now.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Literally translations sounds strange :)
There are no snowdrops in UK in forests?

They are not native, but you do get some amazing stands of them naturalised in some locations, and they do spread as well. Only one or two in very sheltered south facing gardens at this time, peak flowering will be at least a month to six weeks away.

Only thing flowering up here are isolated hazels, and of course, there are always a few sprigs of gorse. Garden plants too, Erica carnea and Chistmas rose ( getting senile as the Latin name escapes me for a moment), but as a colony needs a lot of stuff to sustain it individual garden amounts are of no significance.

ps..........Very predictable...........hit send then almost immediately the name Hellebore jumps into my mind................lol

Last edited:
Mahonia , Winter flowering Jasmine and a lot of gorse . Sadly all covered by a few mm of snow this morning .

Sweet box (Sarcococca confusa)

Was given a slip of this by a friend this week and amazed by the lovely fragrance of this shrub flowering at this time of the year. Apparently it is a Sarcococca or Sweet box and enjoys growing in shade.

Anyone seen bees working this plant?

Viburnum still, winter jasmines, mahonia, snowdrops - a few.

Night frosts plus recent snow plus 5C max in daytime = no bees on any of them.

Bees loving the winter flowering honeysuckle here

Few snowdrops, lots of winter aconite, bulbs coming up but no flowers as yet.

Another dump of snow last night.

the first croccii of the year opened in the front garden today

Four days ago my beeking compatriot Drinkstone and I saw a bee enter a snowdrop adjacent to his apiary

Last edited:
Just the usual suspects flowering here: Mahonia, hellebore, winter flowering honeysuckle, snowdrops. Hazel catkins and pussywillow just need a few more days.

Just the usual suspects flowering here: Mahonia, hellebore, winter flowering honeysuckle, snowdrops. Hazel catkins and pussywillow just need a few more days.

Noticed them today, in an old walled garden apiary.

Snow drops and the local council have started planting roundabouts with Primroses, also notice that crocus are close to flowering.

Latest posts

Back