Whats happening with hived swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayt

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hived a swarm thurs eve, had QX on it until this morning. Come 1pm there was a mass of flying bees all around the garden followed by a large cluster on the back and underside of the hive. (first pic)

Bees are still going in and out of entrance and its calmed down a bit but they are stiil outside on the inspection board/mesh area under the hive.

They've been sitting there for a few hours now and numbers outside have dwindled.

What to do?

Did you spot a mated queen when you hived it?
If you didn't then maybe there was a virgin off on her nuptials the moment you removed the excluder.

Apparently it was a prime swarm with a mated queen but the beekeeper seemed a bit gung ho with letting his bees swarm as he could never find his queens. So I suppose it could be.
Twas exciting stuff though, cars stopped in the road to watch the bees swirling about!

What to do?

In these occasions I do nothing and wait..a day. If they are still outside next day, I then start thinking why?

Pretty much what I did.....well apart from worrying and being amazed.
Bees are either tucked up in bed or all gone, tomorrow will tell me more.

Hi rayt,
Bees been shut up therefore eager to get out for orientation and cleansing flights. Take out inspection board and cover the gap between entrance and ground so that they cannot undershoot the entrance and end up under OMF. Leave alone for the next four days and then hopefully you are home and dry! Good luck.

Dissent in the new nest adoption commitee?

be thankful they decided not to move any further... I had a undecided swarm before ... putting the part that clustered in the tree without their queen was very painful ... got a lot of stings that day.

Hive is busily going about their business today. I think they just did it to prove who's in charge!

Latest posts

Back