What went wrong ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellectronic

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 in National,s .
Hi Folks,
Can someone answer this please?

Twice in the last two weeks I have put a mug full of bees into a Swibine mating nuc and both times it failed.
Within a week all the bees died, there was fondant in the feed compartment and a small amount of 1:1 syrup.
The bees were discovered dead all grouped together near the feed !
Might it be that a Swibine is not keeping the bees warm enough this time of year ?
I have just bought some Apideas to try my luck with , I dont want to lose any more bees or a nice QC. :sos:

Hi Folks,

Might it be that a Swibine is not keeping the bees warm enough this time of year ?

I'd put it down to the appalling weather we've been having. It's going to be nearly freezing again this week at night.
Brr. too cold for me let alone a cup full of bees.

It needs to warm up, I have a Queen in a cage (Hatched yesterday or today) and tomorrow I will put her in an Apidea.
Extra insulation on the sides and top I think, Hope we get some warm days next week.
Been trying to read up on starting Apidea,s but most of the Youtube stuff is not English.
Can anyone recommend any good reading on starting mating nuc,s.

Regards.

Have over a hundred swi-bines out, and no problem at all with the freezing cold nights, all have them have drawn their new combs and many also have recently mated queens.

Hi Folks,
Can someone answer this please?

Twice in the last two weeks I have put a mug full of bees into a Swibine mating nuc and both times it failed.
Within a week all the bees died, there was fondant in the feed compartment and a small amount of 1:1 syrup.
The bees were discovered dead all grouped together near the feed !
I have just bought some Apideas to try my luck with , I dont want to lose any more bees or a nice QC. :sos:

How did you set up the mating nucs and how far from the hives you got the bees from have you put the mating nucs?

How did you set up the mating nucs and how far from the hives you got the bees from have you put the mating nucs?

Put feed paste in feeder end, 3 mini frames have drawn foundation on them, and they are 10 meters away from donor hive , no queen or cell introduced at this point.

Are you opening up the mini-nuc once charged with bees? If so, there's no reason at all for the bees to be there as far as they are concerned and the older ones will fly back home.

Never seen a problem with swi-bines. Bees put in with ripe queencell; closed up in the cool for 3 days. By this time the queen has emerged and you lose few bees back to the donor hive.

One of my Swi-Bines this year, the bees decided they didn't want to set up shop in the main section, even with nicely drawn bits of foundation in there, they all moved in to the feeder compartment and drew out comb there (I was thinking most probably because its pretty cold!) Well I took a chance and plopped a queen cell I had in and saw her yesterday very briefly... going to be interesting trying to get her out of there! Bees never do things by the book.

Well I am going to try later today with an Apidea.
I have a nice virgin Queen that,s a day old.
Is it best to put her in a cage with candy plug in one end , Then also do I leave the escape hole closed for a time or leave it open ?
Obviousley the Queen will need to get out in the next day or so for orientation flights.

Any advice will be appreciated.

One of my Swi-Bines this year, the bees decided they didn't want to set up shop in the main section, even with nicely drawn bits of foundation in there, they all moved in to the feeder compartment and drew out comb there (I was thinking most probably because its pretty cold!) Well I took a chance and plopped a queen cell I had in and saw her yesterday very briefly... going to be interesting trying to get her out of there! Bees never do things by the book.

Ahhh, Mine drew comb in the feeder Then I thought THAT,s why the instructions say FILL the feeder with fondant, they wont have room to build in there then..

Back