What to grow over autumn\winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ely

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi. I'm moving to a room in a shared house and I'm looking for ideas for things to grow over autumn/winter for a bit of outside interest. It is just a little paved area that might have some earth, though I'm not certain, so in pots ideally. So far, I've had a look at garlic and asparagus. I doubt I'll be living there long enough for the asparagus to become established for eating though.
Thanks

scallions and lettuce, with some nylon tunnel to accelerate growth. We plant in autumn onions and lettuce in green house.. We don't need to spray them with pesticides, since we eat them early in spring or more to say late winter..

" Organic" :rolleyes:

Hi. I'm moving to a room in a shared house and I'm looking for ideas for things to grow over autumn/winter for a bit of outside interest. It is just a little paved area that might have some earth, though I'm not certain, so in pots ideally. So far, I've had a look at garlic and asparagus. I doubt I'll be living there long enough for the asparagus to become established for eating though.
Thanks

don't go for anything long term is my advice, bit late for herbs and such now really, but quick growing stuff such as salads is the job - could try some autumn spuds for Christmas?
Of course, I'm assuming it's student accomodation so I'd have thought there would have been competition for space to grow the more exotic plant species :D

I've got my allotment for the first time this year. I have eaten my potatoes and nearly out of beans, can I put more potatoes in now for this years eating?

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a go at the lettuce and spuds. Not so much student accommodation thankfully, way too noisy. I am still a student at the age of 34 though. Placement year in the IT industry and sharing a house with 'professionals' (professional piss artists). I'd have a go at the exotic stuff but I eat too much as it is.

have a look at moreveg.co.uk
small packets of seed what you can sow each month.

Great stuff. Thank you

Delivery is excellent with them too. Very speedy.

I've got my allotment for the first time this year. I have eaten my potatoes and nearly out of beans, can I put more potatoes in now for this years eating?

As Chair of our local allotment association, this is what I posted to members...

Things to do..

September

SOW

Turnips and winter cultivars of lettuce and spinach

GREENHOUSE

Start to defoliate tomato plants to allow the maximum amount of sunlight, warmth and air to reach the fruits. Snap rather than cut off all of the leaves under the current ripening truss. As the month proceeds and according to the weather conditions, you may have to strip off all the leaves on the plants to Improve the air circulation within the greenhouse. Ventilate to clear the glass of moisture and try to close the greenhouse up by tea time to trap warmth.

PLANT

Spring cabbage.

This is the last chance to plant strawberries if they are to have a chance of establishing themselves in readiness for next season. Overwintering onion bulbs and garlic; it is safer to purchase clean garlic bulbs rather than risk using your home saved stock.

OCTOBER

SOW

Round seeded peas and hardy broad beans to overwinter.

The plants will need protection against the worst of the weather, especially over wet soil.

and don't forget Potatoes for Christmas in Greenhouse or polytunnel.

If you've got open soil, cover with weed fabric or use a green manure.

Back