What to do ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellectronic

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 in National,s .
Morning All,

Within the last week I have inspected one of my hives to find it to be Q- or she is not laying fertile eggs and the bias to be all drone although there are a very useful amount of workers.
Also this week I have managed to lure a large swarm into a bait hive.
My thoughts are to empty the hive (The Q- one) onto a white sheet 30 meters away and sift for Queen (Just to satisfy my mind) then put the hive back in its original position where the workers will fly back to it and I will install the swarm into this hive all in one operation.

Can anyone see any problems with this ?
Also what will happen to all the drones ie will they go back to the original spot ?
Finally, If the hive had lost the Queen and A DLW took over would the DLW return ?
Many thanks for any info .

So you have a DLQ or just laying workers? the brood pattern should give you a clue
Locate the queen, squish and unite.
Shaking out can work but I would prefer to get my hands on her.
Contrary to the much bandied myth, laying workers (and it won't be just one laying worker, it will be several can fly but it don't matter as, if they are allowed into other hives the strong presence of queen and brood pheromone will supress their laying instincts or, the laying police will chuck out their eggs.
Drones will just go wherever they feel like

Thanks Jenkins,
That sounds like a plan, weather permitting it shall be done Monday.
What about the drone brood currently unhatched ? Should I put it back in the hive for the new swarm to sort out , or leave it out altogether.
I am thinking brood would confuse them as it would be against the norm.

Back