What to do?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shabro

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
always a drama eh? But I've had to requeen all 4 hives for various reasons, 3 of the are going great guns , but although the 4th queen is laying there seems to be very few bees now its dwindled down, which I'm guessing in turn is stopping the queen laying great swathes of eggs.
Theres maybe just over a frame of bees left.
Question is - is this likely to build up enough or will it need help?
I collected two swarms yesterday, one of which I gave away, one I have kept. Would it be wise to unite this with them aforementioned bees?
If so whats the easiest way of making sure there is no queen in the swarm?

If you would like to keep them you could add a frame of emerging bees if you think that they can support the extra frame. This would give them a boost which should give enough bees to brood rear more efficiently.

after a few week you could give them another frame to help them along further.

On the other hand if you already have enough colonies and don't need the extra and your other queens are laying well without problem then unite them and save the messing about.

Agree with tidymeup (where did that screen name come from?).

An alternative might be to swap places with another colony.

They will also be helped by having less space to heat - put them into a nuc box.
Personally though, I would combine them with another colony if they've got that small.

Swapping when one is weak and one frame of bees is VERY weak can lead to loss of the queen.

PH

I think I will be utilising the swarm then, If I put them in a nuc, where the nuc is with the swarm..... if we ever get a decent day.... maybe this will help balance them ?

Back