What to do with....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
I have 10 deep frames full of capped honey......

The brood box was put on the hive last year as an emergncy measure to give them more room when I was ill.....and then a shallow on top of that....

but........nope......they filled it with honey instead..I took it off a few weeks back and stacked it on a spare floor and roof on top..

Looked at the frames today and am suprised that non of it has crystalised.

Scrape some of the cappings off and put it under a brood box for them to take up to a shallow?

Last edited:
Use it in the autumn instead of any other feed. You can take every scrap from the supers.
E

find a farmers market, someone local to me sells honey by the frame, £25 to £30, thats a fair wedge you have sitting there

someone local to me sells honey by the frame, £25 to £30, thats a fair wedge you have sitting there

Yes, but.....

First question is: Have these frames been brooded in? Presumably they have (or it would have been a simple deep super?).

If the cells have cocoons in them, would you expect people to buy these for consumption? Especially at inflated honey prices?

Sooo ... need more information first, then decide whether to try marketing them, extracting them or feeding back. Simple enough, but not jumping to conclusions without all the facts.

find a farmers market, someone local to me sells honey by the frame, £25 to £30, thats a fair wedge you have sitting there

I have seen them on ebay but not noticed that the seller has sold any..

As it happens the frames and foundation were all new...so they look fairly good.

You could uncap them and let them drip onto a tray.

If there is no dead larva etc mush them up and let them drip/filter through a muslin.

Then extract everything in autumn and use the brood frames for winter stores.....but I said that at the start! Don't see the problem!

Latest posts

Back