What swarm prevention methods this year?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most all bees swarm sometime... however I did read somewhere of a beekeeper having stock that just did not swarm, which was a bit of a problem!
Beowulf Cooper wrote about some UK bees that didn't swarm and queen replacement was always by supersedure. He mentioned several examples.
Anyone got any bees that do it that way?

Beowulf Cooper wrote about some UK bees that didn't swarm and queen replacement was always by supersedure. He mentioned several examples.

Some, in fact most of my Natives... and my NZ Italians are not prone to swarm, but if left to their own resources, without beekeeper intervention and selective breeding, I expect that swarming would be an annual event.

Talking to a local beekeeper who has recently been to Somalia helping with an environmental charity, he said that the local beekeepers there did nothing to prevent swarms at all... just carried on and collected honey to sell from hives whenever they could... empty hives were valued for the beeswax.

Yeghes da

No problem, as long as you inspect early or late in the day.

how late. im thinking of doing all my inspections on the way home from work this summer so between 4 and 5pm is that ok?

That is true and I know guys whose hives does not swarm. It means that perhaps 10% make swarm cells. But however, they go through all they hives to look, is anybody aiming to swarm. At same time they look, do bees havee enouf room to expansion and to nectar.

But when you buy those queens, and their daughters mate freely with mongrels, they get back their swarming habit.

I know one bee stock (big professional) which hives does not swarm. And they are exceptionally calm. But they are so badly inbreeded that they are able to lay only 3 box hives. I do not want to see such pygmies.

Last edited:
how late. im thinking of doing all my inspections on the way home from work this summer so between 4 and 5pm is that ok?

Usually anytime after 4.30 is okay, or during the day if it is unsuitable weather for mating flights.

Clipping the queens wing will not prevent her from swarming, but may prevent the loss of bees from a strong honey producing colony.

but the swarm goes back to the hive when they realise the queen isnt with them.

When the virgin queen is at home? Isn't there a risk the queen will get nobbled or put off her mating flights?

Yes, when your pretty sure the queen will be in the hive, and not out on mating flights.

Has anyone tried the taranov board?

Obee

Quote:
Clipping the queens wing will not prevent her from swarming, but may prevent the loss of bees from a strong honey producing colony.

but the swarm goes back to the hive when they realise the queen isnt with them.

That be the general idea.

Perhaps not swarm control.. but making the best from a possibly disastrous situation?

Yeghes da

Has anyone tried the taranov board?

Obee

For finding an elusive queen. Messy. Bees all over the place. Never again!
If you use wally shaw's modified snelgrove 11 you don't have to find the queen on the first move and on the second manipulation she should be easier to find

Last edited:

Yes, I am fairly sure none of my 8 colonies swarmed last year but many superseded, some repeatedly, at least one of which failed to mate = one colony lost over winter.
Over the last few years I have bought queens from Oakfield Honey Farms and last year 3 from ExmoorBees. This year I'm resolved to breed some of my own Qs.
I wouldn't want swarmy colonies, on the other hand repeated supersedure is not ideal either.

While I agree that we don't want swarmy bees, I would be concerned about bees that only replaced their queens by supersedure. As swarming is their means of reproduction, surely a little swarminess is good thing?

[This is a genuine question, not to be interpreted as a statement of fact and is in response to the earlier assertion that there are bees that only replace their queens by supersedure.]

Swarm Control

there's some great info on the WBKA site, a video presentation by Wally Shaw and a booklet.

[/B]

Yes, I am fairly sure none of my 8 colonies swarmed last year but many superseded, some repeatedly, at least one of which failed to mate = one colony lost over winter.
Over the last few years I have bought queens from Oakfield Honey Farms and last year 3 from ExmoorBees. This year I'm resolved to breed some of my own Qs.
I wouldn't want swarmy colonies, on the other hand repeated supersedure is not ideal either.

I would agree on the type of bees from those sources not being very swarmy. I have some myself and compared to the local rascals annual swarming habits they make a pleasurable change.

The supersedure only bees was from several observations by Cooper on native bees (or native crosses, he doesn't define which) and I simply wondered if anyone had experienced this with their natives. My locals are inveterate annual swarmers.

Latest posts

Back