What pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Bees still active today with pollen being brought in.
Does anyone know what a bright orange pollen is at this time of year. (could it be dandelion?) They are also bringing a bit of lightish yellow pollen which I think is off the mustard.

I have seen quite a few dandelions and clover flowering the last few days

I cannot comment on the flora in your area but here in Ireland the furz \ whinny is blooming and plenty orange pollen being offered up.

I have not seen any gorse (whinney) near where I live

Last edited:
We have been out walking this afternoon and around where we live the gorse is flowering. Could this be the source of the yellowish pollen?
Also came across a six foot wall surrounding a large detached house. It was completely covered in ivy in flower. There were hundreds of bees foraging on the flowers. The pollen in their baskets was light yellowish in colour.

With a quick look at mine this morning, they were quite happily working away, about a quarter of the incoming were carrying pollen, of at least three different types!! Bright orange, buff-almost white and crackly cream/off white which covered most of the hind legs and other parts of the bee, this seemed to be in crackly flakes rather than neatly blobbed smooth balls.

seen some bramble still in flower here on saturday and loads of ivy still about.

Darren

Back