what is this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilberdyke John

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've just been sent the attached photo and asked what it is. Can anyone help please?

Attachments

• received_1110092619007575.jpeg
    received_1110092619007575.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 291
The picture was sent to me by a vet who lives near me, works in Sheffield and Nottingham, has a South American friend and visits her father in Germany. I asked what country it was taken but no reply as yet. She could be driving at present.

Looks like its made from chewed up wood/paperpulp or a web like coccoon, ive seen huge spider nests where spiders flood out so if south America maybe thats an option? Whats the mass in the corner? That made me think of the spiders. Probably totslly wrong & its a man made house martin nest or something :icon_204-2:

I suspect it's a birds nest - swift or swallow. It looks like they may have picked up some man made fibres to do the job possibly from a tip

Size is difficult, could be 6 inches big or 6 cm!
E

would want to peek inside to see if it's completely hollow (bird) or has comb (insect).

given the tidy nature of the outside, it seems more likely to me to be an insect, bird's nest invariably have bits of straw or small twig sticking out of it.

A dumpling that somebody chucked over the fence.

A dumpling that somebody chucked over the fence.

Encountered SWMBO's cooking then have you?
Mind you,with the state of my back I wouldn't attempt hoisting her dumplings (oo err missus) any distance unless i had some advice off Geoff Capes first :D

I've just heard it's tennis ball size. Someone else has suggested it could be a small wasp nest which has been taken over by wax moth. Does this sound feasible?

No - wasps don't make wax! They make their nests out of wood pulp.

I'm wondering if it's a Processionary Moth of some sort? I have no idea which one it might be, but check these pictures

I could ask my insect guys if you like.

When you look at it, its got to be wood pulp its made from, you can see how its cracked on the bottom. Whats the mass in the corner, has that something to do with it?

Definitely not a spiders sac. No silk

If its tennis ball size, it must be HUGE on an insect scale. How far off the ground is it? It must be something airborne or with the ability to fly. Has it grown in size or has it always been that size?
I thought of a wasp. Could it have salvaged man-made material instead of wood pulp?
I confess, I'm completely out of my depth with this one but I'm following the conversation with interest.

Back