What is happening at your bait hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of interest in my two bait hives, had about 300 bees this morning, all gone home now. Just wondered if anyone had tried squishing a spare queen inside their bait hives as an attractant along with the usual old comb and lemon grass oil. I used the method last year to mop up several hundred stragglers from a swarm in a compost bin. It seemed to work then. Any thoughts?

Had a swarm move in yesterday afternoon. Saw a lot of scout bees (100+) looking fairly frenzied around the entrance. An hour or two later the swarm turned up.

Lots of interest in my two bait hives, had about 300 bees this morning, all gone home now. Just wondered if anyone had tried squishing a spare queen inside their bait hives as an attractant along with the usual old comb and lemon grass oil. I used the method last year to mop up several hundred stragglers from a swarm in a compost bin. It seemed to work then. Any thoughts?

That has been mentioned as a way of finding an invisible queen in a colony.
pin a dead queen to a top bar and come back ten minutes later and your queen will be busy trying to kill her......

I was thinking about setting up a bait hive with a phial of pheromone at the far end of my garden from the hives, because I will be away for a week exactly and although all looks OK right now, there is clearly some swarming risk. HOWEVER, instructions on the pack say a lure for your own swarms should be at least 250 yards away. Mine would be about 200 yards, so the question is, is it worth doing ?

One old box out with 1 black comb and a couple of foundation and some lemon grass. Loads of interest and maybe a 100 or so bees in and around it. And as per the last 2 years no swarms caught! One day I will be lucky!

Gutted, window sill bait box had fantastic interest from half 6 this morning. They've all gone. Ah well.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Had a bait hive out since the last week in april after no intreest for a while there was suddenly lots of interest yesterday evening, 50+bees. A few bees checking it out again this morning but the weather is cooler today and rain is forcast later.

I was thinking about setting up a bait hive with a phial of pheromone at the far end of my garden from the hives, because I will be away for a week exactly and although all looks OK right now, there is clearly some swarming risk. HOWEVER, instructions on the pack say a lure for your own swarms should be at least 250 yards away. Mine would be about 200 yards, so the question is, is it worth doing ?

Yes, I have one at 100yds which catches escapees.
Cazza

Latest posts

Back