What if a drone was fed royal jelly??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattl

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 soon to be 3
I know it is highly unlikely to happen naturally, but im sure it could be done in a lab. What would happen if a drone was fed royal jelly in the same quantities as a queen? Would anything happen?

This is what happens when i daydream about bees!

Big bloody drone! Royal jelly is just v high protein, wont change anything much. Maybe studman of the hive.

From what I know they do try it sometimes when they are desperate but he dies.

The only King in beekeeping is experience.

I have seen how bees have tried to make a queen from egglayer's egg, but I have not seen a capped result.

I know it is highly unlikely to happen naturally, but im sure it could be done in a lab. What would happen if a drone was fed royal jelly in the same quantities as a queen? Would anything happen?

This is what happens when i daydream about bees!

I read in the one book that in extremely rare situations from " haploid pack" can lay out a queen.. But I doubt in quality or so, I think more as something that can happen.
Last year I think I had laying workers in one hive, they pulled out the queen cells above drone larva.. But torn them down..

I had a drone layer once and the bees tried to make q cell out of it. The 'Kingcup', I don't know what else it would be called, grew to quite a size, but bent and misshapen

I tore it down and dealt with the laying worker(s). I do have an old photo, but I will have to get help to show me how to attach it to this forum

I had a drone layer once and the bees tried to make q cell out of it. The 'Kingcup', I don't know what else it would be called, grew to quite a size, but bent and misshapen

I tore it down and dealt with the laying worker(s). I do have an old photo, but I will have to get help to show me how to attach it to this forum

I placed one picture in photo albums of this forum. Also interesting for me is as I read ( and also told by other beekeepers) they try to make queen cell even above cell with pollen..

this is what happens when they feed a drone royal jelly. They seal the cell, but the larva never goes into pupation, but died and goes into mush

Royal jelly will not change the genetics of a drone... it is a flying sperm in reality... Gamete if you must....

Latest posts

Back