What Brad nailer should I get?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most important thing when making frames is to pin the bottom bars individually from the bottom up. That way they can easily be tapped out, the wax changed and then tapped back into place. If you pin the bottom bars from one side through both bars then you either end up braking the bar or the bottom of the frame when trying to remove the bottom bar.
I have hundreds of old frames ready for easy use with one bottom bar removed. It takes seconds to add Foundation and tap another bottom bar on when needed in a hurry.
E

That's my point and thats how I have always done them. Surely it doesnt matter if its gimp pins or a nailer as long as they are fixed in that way?

Judging by the number of people on here all making up new frames...one does wonder.

Ah it was just based on the number of people making new frames.

Makes sense.

A quarter grand for a nailer? Why battery operated unless you need it in a field? My mains operated stapler/nailer cost less than fifty quid and has driven thousands of brads.

Better to have two - with different length brads in them.

I does seem steep but I bought one last year that was 15/500ths of a grand and its sat in the bin as it just constantly clogging time after time.

A hammer was certainly quicker in the long run, but still tediously slow.

Doesnt need to be battery powered but i have makita batteries so thought it might work out.

They only one they do thats isnt a behemoth is a 23g so that rules it out.

Any recommendations for a corded one that fires 18g nails without clogging up

Judging by the number of people on here all making up new frames...one does wonder.

In my case, the new frames have been a response to increasing hive numbers. I fully intend to start reusing my frames once they need sorting out.

I'm expanding that's why I'm always making frames... Well my son is lol :D

In my case, the new frames have been a response to increasing hive numbers. I fully intend to start reusing my frames once they need sorting out.

Good point and i am also expanding each year and i plan on buying one or two extra frames and foundation this year .. BF stated a good fact.. all super frames or just about can be used for years and years.. with a little help from my friend ( new wax foundation)

My Lidl £9.99 one is still working after 3 years and approx 5,000 brads. It occasionally jammed but a dry silicon spray# sorted that out.

# Car shops for squeaky windows and sunroofs.

Edit I keep selling a few 5 frame nucs so always need new frames.

https://youtu.be/4c7ZqEHfSMs

Went with makita in the end for the following reasons;

1. It was on offer so got it for £180

2. Tried some of the battery powered 16/18g nailers at the tool hire and they were way too big to handle for the long run.

3. Didnt want to use a compressor and ideally wanted cordless

4. Already had the batteries

5. it's from Amazon to anything wrong and it'll be swiftly returned.

First observations is, its nice and small. But the 23g pins are a bit small. 2 in each connection give a solid fixing but 18g brad would allow 1 in each. I'm using 18mm but I'm going to move up to 25mm for the first fix and save the 18mm for the foundation bar in February.

But wow, it's going to speed up the production line no end!

Not a single missed pin or jam in the first 1000 shots. Very impressed.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

https://youtu.be/4c7ZqEHfSMs

Went with makita in the end for the following reasons;

1. It was on offer so got it for £180

2. Tried some of the battery powered 16/18g nailers at the tool hire and they were way too big to handle for the long run.

3. Didnt want to use a compressor and ideally wanted cordless

4. Already had the batteries

5. it's from Amazon to anything wrong and it'll be swiftly returned.

First observations is, its nice and small. But the 23g pins are a bit small. 2 in each connection give a solid fixing but 18g brad would allow 1 in each. I'm using 18mm but I'm going to move up to 25mm for the first fix and save the 18mm for the foundation bar in February.

But wow, it's going to speed up the production line no end!

Not a single missed pin or jam in the first 1000 shots. Very impressed.

Full specification and type & availability of brads you are using please

looks impressive!

Meur ras

Very happy with it.

I'm using these atm:

Makita F-31825 Makita MAKITA F-31825 18mm 23 Gauge Headless Pins 1 Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004Z55DOE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_AQW9BbK6293PZ

But going to move to the 25mm 23g at the weekend to see if I can go down to 1 pin at each connection. No massive deal if not.

I've given them an almighty tug and they definitely arent coming apart

Be careful how you hold the frames when nailing...your left hand.
If only you had said that 30 mins ago!

Ouch! Lesson learnt

Attachments

• frame jig 1 (1024x934).jpg
    frame jig 1 (1024x934).jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 80
  • frame jig 2 (1024x837).jpg
    frame jig 2 (1024x837).jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 73
  • frame jig 3 (1024x1024).jpg
    frame jig 3 (1024x1024).jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 74
  • frame jig 4 (1024x1024).jpg
    frame jig 4 (1024x1024).jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 72
Nice idea! Gonna be flying through these now

If only you had said that 30 mins ago!

Ouch! Lesson learnt

Its not just the nails, it is the splinters of wood that come flying off, anything in line with the action, eye protection is an absolute must.

Again, thanks for tip. Appreciate it...

No way i want to do that lot with a pin pusher.

What sort of nailer would work on hive bodies?

Attachments

• 20181123_133437-1-1.jpg
    20181123_133437-1-1.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 31
Options are limited though without a compressor.

I looked at the makita and paslode 16/18g and they would easily fix hive bodies together but they are huge and would become so heavy on the hand doing frames.. and I mean HUGE!

I think the pin pusher is a perfect compromise. Its definitly not for hive bodies or much else, but for making up frames, its spot on IMO.

I have tried to pull them apart and they are going nowhere. More stable than gimp pins anyway.

Last edited:
Back