What are we seeing here?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeKeyPlayer

From Rainham, Medway (North Kent) UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 plus 12 owned by others
A friend, who sent me the pictures below, describes what she saw thus:
'No discoloured or distorted larvae but I’m not happy with this. I thought it was sacbrood but now I’m not sure. It’s a strong hive with a good laying rate and no varroa on the board.'
Any comments?

Attachments

• 1 WhatsApp Image 2023-05-21 at 19.41.58.jpg
    1 WhatsApp Image 2023-05-21 at 19.41.58.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-20230521-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20230521-WA0017.jpg
    591 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-20230521-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20230521-WA0018.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-20230521-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20230521-WA0019.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-20230521-WA0020.jpg
    IMG-20230521-WA0020.jpg
    845 KB · Views: 5
Yes :iagree:
The forum isn’t the place for a proper diagnosis.
See what the bee inspector says but do share with us.

Don't like the look of those dark mummified-looking cells seen in the second picture. (edit, it could be dark bee bread).

Not convinced about varroa either, possibly some uncapping going on too but don't think it's just that.

As per JBM.

Last edited:
I’d hope it’s bald brood but as Jenks said if in doubt call your bee inspector, am sure you could mail him the photos. The bottom pic looks an iffy pattern as well.

From the pics looks like Bald brood though there could be a couple of issues occrring as well, the SBI will give you a defacto answer.

New one on me, bald brood due to the wax moth?

no varroa on the board
Not a reliable indicator.

Looks like systemic bald brood plus sacbrood but photos don't tell the whole story, so do let us know the outcome.

One year I saw eight solid frames of sac brood in a colony and the sac was far worse than your photos: a cell of sealed alternating with a cell of sac. I concluded it was genetic so killed the queen, burned all the brood frames on the spot, cleaned the kit and it never recurred.

Isn't it pupae that are uncapped with bald brood? Rather than larvae?
Larvae can also be seen as bald brood, a queen issue and needs re -Queening. The larvae can develope as normal if the bees don't remove them.

Yes, Dani. Sorry, it has been on my list for a few days. The SBI and RBI both thought sacbrood and bald brood from the pictures but the SBI visited because there is EFB in places in Kent and my friend wants to sell bees. The visit confirmed no EFB.

I've found the experience a little challenging. I share queen rearing activities with this friend. I want to maintain a realistic attitude to risk. I clean my suits after each apiary visit (I have more than one suit!) and clean my gloves and tool between each hive. But part of the reason for having more than one apiary is being able to move bees between each. The result of that is that I have found CBPV at both sites.

If you get too scared of disease, it can have a crippling effect on your beekeeping. Our association apiary is small and dwindling because of the reluctance to take in any bees including swarms. There's a balance to be struck between being careful and carrying on with life and doing things.

A friend, who sent me the pictures below, describes what she saw thus:
'No discoloured or distorted larvae but I’m not happy with this. I thought it was sacbrood but now I’m not sure. It’s a strong hive with a good laying rate and no varroa on the board.'
Any comments?
Is there any worker brood?

Back