what are they upto ???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
definitely a virgin piping , so virgin or virgins were loose at the time of your inspection to remove cells . your colony wasn't swarming they cluster over entrance you didn't say what you did before destroying cells or I missed it. they may be still under swarming impulse or cluster because listless through not satisfied swarming

definitely a virgin piping , so virgin or virgins were loose at the time of your inspection to remove cells . your colony wasn't swarming they cluster over entrance you didn't say what you did before destroying cells or I missed it. they may be still under swarming impulse or cluster because listless through not satisfied swarming

I had checked last week and had multiple swarm cells with larvae and royal jelly, so carried out an A/S, then removed all but two cells, then checked those two cells, more had been made and the two open ones capped, so removed the new ones and one of the capped ones, obviously I had missed a cell last week that had then hatched, they swarmed again a few hours after the film, win some,loose some, had already picked up three swarms in a fortnight

Hi Dexter,
Interesting video. My initial reaction was, listening to the piping, that there were two virgins out. If you still had a sealed QC the virgin in it would sound much lower pitch, 'quacking' and it would be a small interval before she responded. This sounded more like 'hammer and tongs' going for it. You may still get another cast.

this really has me baffled, so that hive swarmed as above post's describe, I later found the swarm and housed it in a nuc for a couple across the road that wanted to become beekeepers, thinking that the hive now only had the one queen cell that I had left, yesterday whilst out, the kids phoned to tell me that hive had swarmed again ???
on getting home they had settled in a bush in next door's garden, so they went into a poly nuc, did a quick check of that hive as I expected it to be less packed with bees, those going in/out had reduced.
the hive is a 14x12 brood and has 2 supers, and it was still bursting to the seams with bees, the one sealed cell is still there, and also what looks like an emergency cell on a different frame

its all about probabilty... They have diversity of behaviour, its a survival trait.

There always a chance of missing a queen cell
Piping indicate a high probability of a free queen challenging others.
So our approach is:
so if you hear piping then always AS regardless of whatever you think is in there, and do it immediately , no cups of tea, no waiting for the sun to come out. Then later find out how many queens you really have.
and never leave two cells... if you need a backup put it in separate box.

After chasing 10 swarms in the garden one year ...

Last edited:
So our approach is:
so if you hear piping then always AS regardless of whatever you think is in there, and do it immediately , no cups of tea, no waiting for the sun to come out. Then later find out how many queens you really have.
and never leave two cells... if you need a backup put it in separate box.

After chasing 10 swarms in the garden one year ...

I had already done the AS before that video, put the marked queen and bees in a nuc,

Don't forget that scout worker bees also pipe just before the swarm leaves the hive

Back