Wet supers returned to hive and then...?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadcertie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is my second year of beekeeping (my dad was an avid beekeeper) and there is a question that I cannot find the answer to online. It is a multi-pronged question.

So, my situation:
- Hive 1: wet supers have been returned in 1 super box. Another super underneath (above brood and QX) with mainly uncapped and SFs in progress.
- Hive 2: very weak: kept losing the queen (I have racked my brain as to the why) but have been providing it with brood + eggs from other hives and a couple of queens just hatched so keeping everything crossed. Going to leave well alone for the next two weeks.
- Hive 3: Swarm hive. Same as Hive 1: 1 super extracted, one super in progress.

I intend on nadiring (is there such a word?) the un-extracted supers for the winter and giving the surplus supers (after freezing for a couple of days) as nadir for Hive 2 (the weak one) as they have no stores in super at all.

The BIG question: during the upcoming 6 weeks of varroa treatment: what I am supposed to do with all the supers? Do people just take them off and store them safe from predators? Surely, if you have tonnes of hives, that is impossible (thinking transport, removing all the bees within (that's a lot of rhombusses!), storage)? If you nadir supers, is that perceived safe for consumption for the following year? Surely not?

Thanks all!

Do people just take them off and store them safe from predators? Surely, if you have tonnes of hives, that is impossible
People with that many hives aren't foolish enough to leave supers full of honey on all winter - remove, extract, treat and feed
simples

Just replying to the hive 1 bit. It sounds as though, from bottom to top, you have BB, QE, empty super, wet frames in another super. You need.... BB, crown board with small hole in, eke, wet frames in super. They will clean the wet frames out. The way you have it now is that they will just use the super with the wet frames in. Not sure if you have frames in the empty super but if not then you may be getting comb built in there!
I may have the wrong end of the stick as usual but feel free to correct me if I have!

People with that many hives aren't foolish enough to leave supers full of honey on all winter - remove, extract, treat and feed
simples
If they are uncapped/partially filled with honey then it cannot be extracted. I get the remove etc 'simples' and agree. Not all supers are 'full'.

Just replying to the hive 1 bit. It sounds as though, from bottom to top, you have BB, QE, empty super, wet frames in another super. You need.... BB, crown board with small hole in, eke, wet frames in super. They will clean the wet frames out. The way you have it now is that they will just use the super with the wet frames in. Not sure if you have frames in the empty super but if not then you may be getting comb built in there!
I may have the wrong end of the stick as usual but feel free to correct me if I have!
BB, QE, super that is being filled by bees but hardly anything capped, then super with wet frames (note to self to do: should be dry and removable now to store for winter). Crown board. Surely it is too soon to nadir so they will continue working on the 1 super that is in process. I will not have capped in these to extract so will need to do something with it while I am treating the hive....

Not empty super: most frames have drawn out comb on partially filled with honey.

BB, QE, super that is being filled by bees but hardly anything capped, then super with wet frames (note to self to do: should be dry and removable now to store for winter). Crown board. Surely it is too soon to nadir so they will continue working on the 1 super that is in process. I will not have capped in these to extract so will need to do something with it while I am treating the hive....
You miss the point. You have put the wet frames in the hive at the top where they want to store honey so they won't be drying it they will be filling it. It needs to go ABOVE the crown board with a hole in for them to dry it!

You miss the point. You have put the wet frames in the hive at the top where they want to store honey so they won't be drying it they will be filling it. It needs to go ABOVE the crown board with a hole in for them to dry it!
I’ve read it should be a small hole in the crownboard. What diameter have you been successful with?

I’ve read it should be a small hole in the crownboard. What diameter have you been successful with?
2 bee spaces is what I use or a CD is quite effective. That’s a bit larger. I find putting an empty super on top of the crownboard helps too

2 bee spaces is what I use or a CD is quite effective. That’s a bit larger. I find putting an empty super on top of the crownboard helps too
Thanks Dani - I asked as I’ve butchered some old crownboards this afternoon leaving a 13mm hole.

Yes, and safe from damp, rain and wind.
I'm struggling a bit for winter storage. I was hoping to leave stacks of supers (with frames treated for waxmoth) in the field, well sealed top and bottom. They should be okay, I think. Not really different from boxes with bees in them which are out all year round.
I also thought I could store some supers above the crownboards.
Thoughts?

leave stacks of supers (with frames treated for waxmoth) in the field, well sealed top and bottom
Every time I tried this rain got in between the boxes, filled the lug gulleys and turned combs grey and mouldy.

store some supers above the crownboards.
Risk that high winds may blow the lot over. Solution is to strap to a heavy pallet or put a 400mm square paving slab on top.

Oh
I did not realise that... Thank you SO much.
Got it.
Apologies for the delay in getting back to this thread.

Ris

Risky; may lead to robbing or wasp attack.

Yes, and safe from damp, rain and wind.

Not impossible, but certainly a logistical slog.
Regarding wasp attack. Planned on freezing uncapped supers from other hives for a couple of days and putting them in super under the BB of weak hive when Autumn kicks in property. Also with mouse guard

Latest posts

Back