Wet stored frames - is now a good time??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred scuttle

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi Folks,

I still have several wet frames left from last season where they have pollen stores or nectar still in (some of them are loaded) - Should I wait a few weeks or wait for 'T-Shirt Weather' before applying in a couple of weeks or so???

All colonies are on Neopoll so won't be starving as such but wondering if the wet stores will be better at this time of year or should I wait -PS my colonies are in Lancashire so still frosty at night??

Thanks

Hi Folks,

I still have several wet frames left from last season where they have pollen stores or nectar still in (some of them are loaded) - Should I wait a few weeks or wait for 'T-Shirt Weather' before applying in a couple of weeks or so???

All colonies are on Neopoll so won't be starving as such but wondering if the wet stores will be better at this time of year or should I wait -PS my colonies are in Lancashire so still frosty at night??

Thanks
Just wait until they actually need space in a few weeks time,

Follow their lead, when they need more comb, give it to them if you have that luxury!! theres no point adding it too soon. they just won't work with it.

Wait. Then, when the desire to mess feels irresistible - wait some more!

Although the amount of honey in wet supers is not insignificant, it's not a lot either. And by adding supers in cool weather, only increases dramatically the volume of the hive - with an adverse effect on the colony, which has to work harder to keep the brood up to temperature.

And they may be tempted to move up above the QE and risk the queen and brood getting chilled.

Too soon to be messing with the bees here in the north west.

But when they do start to bring good stuff in, and really start to increase, they will take to wet supers like nothing else! They love them - much better than dry supers or, of course, foundation.

Dusty

Well ... You could put a wet super on above the crownboard and open the feeder hole .. I did this at the end of the season and they cleaned a lot of the comb out before I took them off - not sure whether it's a bit early still to be adding supers per se. Down here - usually beginning to mid April when there is a chance of a proper 'flow' - all we have at present is 'maintenance forage' as far as I can see.

My early plum trees came in to blossom this week and they are a bit on the early side compared to last year but I'm not seeing any significant sources of nectar or pollen so a bit pointless expecting them to start filling supers ... cleaning them up - possibly.

Well ... You could put a wet super on above the crownboard and open the feeder hole ...

:iagree:

If you really want to do something without hurting the colony, or making it too cold, this is the best option. They can use the space if they need it, will ignore it if they don't.

:iagree:

If you really want to do something without hurting the colony, or making it too cold, this is the best option. They can use the space if they need it, will ignore it if they don't.

Why leave the loft hatch open when they most need to conserve warmth?

It is way to early to be adding space. They are needing all their resources to keep the brood warm and you want to add a super?

It's a complete no.

PH

Latest posts

Back