Web developing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ely

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Any members here that are web developers (I don't mean spiders)?

I'm interested in getting into this field and could use some advice on what computer languages to learn and how to go about learning them.

Happy beekeeping!

Java, Javascript, PHP, .NET (ASP/ASPX), HTML. C#

It depends how deep, you want to go, just a few pages, or an eCommerce site or a Forum site like this based on PHP.

Not sure if in your area, there are College Courses, by day or night, or you have the discipline to be self-taught, e.g. follow web pages, Online Courses, Books etc

Best thing to do, is build yourself a Lab at home, you can use VMware Player, Oracle Virtualbox on your existing PC, to create a Linux Virtual Machine, and develope your skills, and websites.

Pretty much as above - though I would probably update the list to HTML, Javascript, CSS, PHP/Ruby.

Def look at virtualization for learning / development

If disciplined enough learn online as books and college courses are generally out of date before they are released

Thanks for the advice. I have bought a course on udemy. What are the virtual machines used for?

To test and play with what your learning I would of thought

Thanks for the advice. I have bought a course on udemy. What are the virtual machines used for?

A virtual machine allows you to run another computer Operating System, e.g Windows 10, A Linux Distro on the same computer, but in isolation of your main PC, which is called the Host, and virtual machines are called Guests.

e.g. if they break, you just delete and start again, very handy to reduce the number of physical computers you need.

Especially if you main Host OS is Windows.... and you want to develop for Linux.

Of course, the other advantage of a virtual Linux machine on a Windows PC is you don't have to use Windows ;)

Ah interesting stuff. Do you think VMware is the best way to go?

Now that's an interesting question you put to a VMware vExpert! working with the vendor VMware for the last 18 years.

Anyway, there are many hypervisors (software products you can use).

VMware Player and Oracle Virtualbox are both free, VMware Workstation is a commercial product, will cost you about £200.

and if you are using Windows 10, it has an option called Hyper-V, so take your pick as to which you use.

To be honest, I think VMware Player, Oracle Virtualbox, are easier to get you head around than Hyper-V in Windows 10.

Great. Thanks

Back