Weak Colonies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idg

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,
I went into winter with 8 colonies. In hindsight I should have probably reduced this down to 4 or 5 stronger colonies rather that 8 weaker ones. Lack of experience maybe!
Anyway, I checked my hives 2 weeks ago on a slightly warmer day. There were bees in all hives. 2 hives were strong and I am not really concerned, but the other 6 had small numbers of bees. Maybe a softball sized cluster. I placed fondant directly above the bees and they are taking it. I have insulation on all hives and I have vaporised all with oxalic.
Since looking, we have had two very cold weeks. On Saturday there was some flying from all hives.
My question really is a) should I be concerned? and b) Is there anything else I can do at this stage to help? I do have a couple of brood frames of stores from autumn. Is opening them to put this in going to do more harm than good?

I placed fondant directly above the bees and they are taking it

When they have taken it... give them some more!

Mytten da

!. What is a soft ball?

2. How big is one?

3. It is too early to be messing with bees.

PH

Isn't it good to learn this stuff though? You have seen what went into winter, and what is coming out.
Don't overlook the opportunity to learn from that.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but without figuring out what you will look for next time, the lesson is lost.

I have an overwintering nuc. It may or may not make it. I am giving it the best chance I can... But one thing is for sure I will learn!

Hmm none the wiser as never seen one in real life.

PH

Whereas a Dexter bulls balls (try saying that after a drink) would be more like a cricket ball�� to continue JBMs animal analogies.

On Saturday there was some flying from all hives.
My question really is a) should I be concerned? and b) Is there anything else I can do at this stage to help? I do have a couple of brood frames of stores from autumn. Is opening them to put this in going to do more harm than good?

No, you shouldn't be concerned.

No, there's nothing else you can do at this stage other than keeping their fondant topped up.

Yes, opening them up to give them frames of stores may do more harm than good.

There are two different sizes for softballs:
1) The small ball – which a circumference of 11 inches and a diameter of 3.5 inches. This ball is used in youth softball – usually 10 and under.
2) The big ball – which has a circumference of 12 inches and a diameter of 3.8 inches.
Both sizes I would consider too small in a big hive but I have seen small colonies like that make it and others not.

IMHO feed, insulate and put the varroa inspection board in nearly all the way

I will re-phrase the size analogy as it seems to be causing confusion. Lets say it is between the size of a grapefruit and an orange.
My interference is being kept to a minimum as I have clear crown boards. I am merely lifting the lid an adding fondant over crownboard holes. All other holes are covered

I will re-phrase the size analogy as it seems to be causing confusion. Lets say it is between the size of a grapefruit and an orange.
My interference is being kept to a minimum as I have clear crown boards. I am merely lifting the lid an adding fondant over crownboard holes. All other holes are covered

How do you know what size the clusters are? What ACTUAL observations are you making through the CCBs?

mmmmmm rocky mountain oysters

I prefer ram's knackers meself - or 'cerrig hwrrdod' as the old ladies around here would call them - sliced, soaked in brine for a few hours, lightly floured then fried and eaten with brown bread. When we had the butcher's shop whenever anyone ordered 'sweetbreads' my grandfather would have to come over and slice them up as my father would just sit on the step in the shop with tears in his eyes!!

this time of year its all about making sure you at least get the queen through. you can then add bees once the stronger colonies increase sufficiently ensuring all is healthy.

Back