We will not forget 11/11/11

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4NtSqZcT_4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4NtSqZcT_4[/ame]

It was nice to see that all the remembrance ceremonies passed off without disruption today.
I was disappointed at the impatience and lack of respect shown by a few motorists at the ceremony in Welshpool today though - is it too much to wait 5 mins?

We stopped work chainsaws off 70ft up a tree.

A gentleman was asked to leave the shop for "disrespecting the sacrifice of all nations armed forces "

Made me smile at a serious moment.

British legion is needed more than ever to support today's sacrifice.

Hang on, I generally acknowledge the silence and in fact the poppy is the only charity symbol I would choose to wear.

However, the Legion is not needed more now than before. That is a fatuous statement. Never was it more needed than in the immediate aftermath of the first and second world wars when hundreds of thousands of men (the lucky ones, or so they were told) returned to their homes, particularly those with awful and debilitating injuries.

Many of those had no choice as to whether they fought and it is they who we must never forget. That is why I would like to see the poppy appeal go back to commemorating that blood thirsty so and so Haig.

Today's soldiers are professional and therefore there is a danger they may be put in harm's way. That doesn't mean they don't deserve proper support on their return, and particularly if they have been injured in any way or need any help adjusting to civvy street.

The Legion does do great work but it doesn't support heroes, but committed, hard working professionals, who, for government employees have rarely been given a square deal. Unless, of course, you are an officer.

Sorry, one of my hobby horses. I support remembrance, but not turning the work of the military into a fetish.

A gentleman was asked to leave the shop for "disrespecting the sacrifice of all nations armed forces "

Made me smile at a serious moment.

British legion is needed more than ever to support today's sacrifice.

Back